Skip to main content

Coronavirus, Part Ocho - Random Thoughts and Numbers Revisited

I have lost count to the quarantined days because due to a knee injury, I have been shut up in my apartment for most of the last 30-40 days. Except for the dash down to the local grocers, I have not been hanging out in parks chasing little old ladies or any of my other outdoorsy hobbies. I don't mind the seclusion as I can really get into me and not be inundated with other people's shite. I know that sounds antisocial, but a little antisocial is okay. Ask me in June or July if we are still self-imprisoned. I might be ready to kill some mother flocker. However, at this moment, I am Zen as Fahk. What I am not zen about is the shite that's going on in the rest of the country and especially the stupidity from the White House.

I own this shirt, but in blue
Let's start off with the CDC says everyone should wear a mask when outside and of course, continue to use the 6 foot social distancing guideline. I feel if you can go further away, even the better. The President says he's not going to do it. "Not for me" was his exact words. So, he's taken the attitude of "Do as I say and not as I do." I worked for a company that had that management attitude. That office was shut down shortly after I departed that scene. Does that mean the government and our country are doomed? Maybe. It remains to be seen.

He's gone on to state several times in the last few days that he thinks the states need to fend for themselves. I paraphrased there, but who can't read between the lines of everything he says. The government has items that hospitals in many states need (masks, ventilators, etc.). He doesn't care. He's not really doing much about it.

He recently invoked the Defense Production Act, signed by Harry S. Truman in 1950. Some say a little late, but better than not at all. This allows the President to require manufacturers to produce the much needed medical supplies to combat the pandemic. However, he's reluctant to actually use the powers it provides. Why? What is his problem? A tweet from Vice President Joe Biden said, "Yesterday, President Trump said he was invoking the Defense Production Act, then turned around and said he wasn't planning to use it. The President should exercise these powers now. We need more ventilators, protective equipment, and critical supplies. We need action, not words." Another quote, this on March 22nd from Governor Cuomo of New York, “I think the federal government should order factories to manufacture masks, gowns, ventilators, the essential medical equipment that is going to make the difference between life and death.” Yet, Trump ignores this and continues to play pocket pool with his tiny hands.

3M has stepped up their production of face masks, but was told by the President to cease exporting their N95 masks to Canada and Latin America. The company is pushing back on this order. Their feeling is holding back from shipping to these countries would not only jeopardize those countries' people on the front lines, but could have an effect on ours. I can understand both points of view, but you can't just let allied countries suffer and their people die. It's the least humanitarian and correct thing to do. Yet, that's what Trump wants 3M to do.

Other companies that are trying to pitch in are Ford and GM as they start to manufacture ventilators. China, where all this hoopla began, is said to be sending 1,000 ventilators to New York. This is the attitude we need. Action not lethargic, laid back, maybe we'll do it later attitude. We need a decisive leader who is going to listen to someone else besides the crazy little voice in his head.

AND STOP FAHKEN TWEETING ABOUT HOW MANY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE WATCHING YOU. THEY'RE NOT WATCHING YOU. THEY WANT THE FAHKEN INFORMATION YOU AND YOUR STAFF ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SUPPLYING. YOU FAHKSTAIN!

Two other items I want to address about something this President had said. And it's been recorded. Google it, you'll find it. He alluded that nurses or other medical staff were taking (or stealing) the much needed masks and other medical equipment. I'm appalled. These people put their lives on the line everyday for schmucks like him and his minions and that's how he honors them. Insults and accusations? The other item is the ventilators. He made a statement that if hospitals or states had a need for ventilators why had they not ordered them before now. Now that shows his myopic business sense. No wonder so many of his businesses failed. No one budgets for 30,000 ventilators. There has never been a need for so many in such a short time. His advice to the Governors was don't wait for the government bureaucracy, go out and get them yourselves. That's fine as long as the suppliers aren't going to price gouge or force state governments to shop the black market. It's ridiculous. He is so out of his depths that he should step aside and let people who understand crisis management make the decisions.

Trump stated that if we did nothing the death toll would have reached 2.2 million. He also stated that we would have seen death on airplanes and hotel lobbies. I think he's wrong. No one that ill would have been able to get on an airplane and any one in a hotel lobby would have phoned 911. I wish he would think before he'd start spouting out his bullshite.

Another thing that has my knickers in a twist is the state Governors who are ignoring this whole pandemic. There are idiot legislators who have not invoked a "Stay Home" policy as of yesterday. I list these clowns below, note their party affiliation:
  • Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey (R) - she issued the policy today.
  • Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) - still being an asshat.
  • Georgia Gov. Brian P. Kemp (R) - who shocked Anderson Cooper yesterday with his remarks and I thought nothing could shock Anderson Cooper. This idiot ordered "shelter in place" but then opened the beaches. Wait! What? WTF?
  • Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson II (R) - just another asshat.
  • Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) - we won't even discuss what's wrong here. I'd need a whole other BLOG to explain.
  • Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts (R) - corn-fed douche.
  • North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum (R) - has encouraged Shelter in Place. The state has closed all athletic facilities, theaters, bars and restaurants except for takeout, delivery and curbside service, and has recommended limiting access to nursing homes. North Dakota schools are also all closed until further. [ABC News] Then pull the fahken trigger, goddammit. Issue the mandatory Stay the Fahk Home order!
  • Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Sitt (R) - this fool had the gall to tweet about having dinner with his family at a very packed Oklahoma City restaurant even after the CDC and WHO have insisted to practice "social distancing." He has since deleted the tweet and has implemented several precautionary measures, including the closure of all nonessential businesses, and a "safer-at-home" order, which was extended to all 77 counties this past Wednesday (4/1/20). [ABC News] Maybe it was an April Fool's prank that went "right"?
  • South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster (R) - Three of South Carolina's largest cities (Charleston, Columbia and Mount Pleasant) have issued stay-at-home orders, but this birdbrained governor has not made it mandatory statewide. 
Was anyone surprised that all 9 of these Governors are Republicans? I didn't think so. This is typical of the lemmings following their leader to their deaths as they dive off a mountain cliff one after another. With this sort of government inaction, the numbers that are forecasted is probably going to be true or even underestimated. I am assuming they've built in the stupidity factor for people who won't follow good goddamn advice. 

Let's talk numbers now that I brought it up. The anticipated death toll is estimated at 100,000 to 240,000. The number of Americans living in the US today are estimated at 331 million. Doing the math. They are estimating less than 1% of  Americans will die. You may think that's not too bad considering the 1918 flu epidemic killed about the same percentage but about 3 times more people, worst case scenario. Tell that to the 100 to 240 thousand who have or will die. Statistics are deceiving when you put faces to the those who have passed away. Stay Home!

To bring things more into perspective: In 2018, there were 2.8 million deaths in the United States. The flip side is there were 3.8 million births. Hey, an upside. A positive take away. We netted 1 million more Americans. Yay!!!

Another fun statistic: 1 in 4 people that have the virus are not showing any symptoms. Yay! A plague carrier. Good times! Now, will you please Stay the Fahk Home?!?!?

What are they forecasting to be the total deaths in 2020? I don't think even a U.S. Census could guesstimate that. However, the estimated death rate is comparable to the last several years. With this slight uptick due to the Coronavirus, we're probably looking around 3 million people this year. That's my estimate using my math skills. Based totally on UN estimates and my being good at numbers.

Keep in mind, these are all estimates. A lot of this data is based on historical trends. No one has a magic crystal ball that can give us any absolute data. However, these are worse case scenarios. These numbers can change depending on jackass governors, who won't issue "Stay at Home" orders, and jackasses, who are out doing Jackass stunts instead of staying at home and watching Jackass on the TV. Everything is fluid. So, stay home!!!

There are too many factors involved to give a true tally of what is to be. This is something that will come after the fat lady sings and this horrible illness disappears. Keep this in mind. The 1918 pandemic had a second wave later that fall. Also, not to keep you awake at night or cause you to wake up screaming from a nightmare, the Bubonic Plague from the 13th Century, the scourge of the Middle Ages, had three Pandemics. The last one was in the mid-19th century and is still active today. Yes. People still die from it today. It also infects animals throughout the world. Some of those animals can be found in the western part of the U.S.A. Another fun fact: In 2018, in China (but of course) there were nearly 30 cases of the Black Death (Bubonic Plague). Okay. My work is done here. Sweet dreams, mother flockers!!!

A Plague Doctor...they actually wore this get-up.
I think I'd welcome death than look at that thing caring for me.
If I sound angry, I am. If I had the power to make changes to make things better, I'd sure as fahk would use it. But, there it is. We have what we have. Fifty percent of you brought this on yourselves. Just saying. Don't blame me. I voted Clinton. Stay home. Stay healthy. Stay sane. TTFN.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever