Skip to main content

Ch-ch-ch-changes!!!

It has been some time since I've posted a blog. It's not that I haven't been busy. I have.


Recent changes in my life:

  1. My sister passed away leaving a gaping, sorrowful hole in my life. Refer to my sister's blogs
  2. My company laid me off leaving an unknown financial future. (I'm good with this. More on this shortly.)
  3. I'm studying for the CPA...again. More on this shortly, too.
So. I'm taking a break from all the drama that has recently enveloped my life. I find writing about this cathartic and much cheaper than seeing a shrink. 

First, we've known for some time that Sandi was going to pass. It was inevitable. It's inevitable that we are all going to pass. As much as I say, "I'm not going." I'm going to go someday all the same. However, I do believe if we keep moving, changing addresses and not leave forwarding notices, that the Grim Reaper will take longer and have to work harder to catch up to us. All in all, I knew the day was coming. It was still a shock in the end how quickly it happened. I never got to say a proper good bye. It pains me daily and will always haunt me until my end of days. If Guinness had a world record for consistent days of crying, I may have been in the running for setting it. I feel somewhat responsible, even though, I and everyone else knows, I'm not. I stood aside and let her live her life; her way. As much as we want to protect our loved ones from themselves, we cannot. As a control freak, I can speak volumes on this matter. I move on best as I can and try not to let my doubts and trepidation eat away at my psyche.

Next, I've known for two plus months that I was getting "the Boot". Sacked. Shit-canned. The Old Heave-ho. No biggie. I have grown to hate that place and my job. And yes even some of the people. But mostly, I really like the people I worked with and got to interact with. There were a few that I really would have loved to tell off and "F" out, but decorum, maturity and fear of losing my severance package (mostly the last point) gave me pause. Instead, I avoided the bastard assholes my last week at the old ranch house. I'm trying to get used to the not having any where to go in the morning. I'm sleeping in to almost 9 a.m. some days. I'm beginning to acquiesce to my new position: Semi-retired. Semi, because I can't afford to just stop working and wait 10 more years to collect my SSI and retirement vehicles. This brings me to my pet peeve of the week.

What the hell is the matter with these Consulting Agencies? My address is on my resume. It's clear that I live where I live. Why contact me with positions in other states and in far off lands. I have no desire to travel by car (or airplane) an hour to an hour and a half to and from home daily. I know that does not say that on my resume, but really?!?!?. Do people (on average) travel that far/long to work? I gave that crap up years ago. I remember when I was younger and loved to drive. It didn't matter the distance and time it took to get to work. I admit it. I'm old(er). I don't want to work 8 hours a day plus spend 2 plus hours in traffic cussing at the jack-knifed tractor trailer that just doubled my drive time. If it says the candidate lives in Philadelphia, shouldn't your first question be, "How far of a commute are you willing to make?". Don't inquire if he's interested in traveling to Delaware or King of Prussia for a short term engagement if he just became unemployed. He may not be at that point of desperation yet. I don't know. Maybe it's me. I've paid my dues. I should be cruising into retirement not fighting for a position at the table just to take another bite from the mealy and tasteless sandwich that the Corporate Fatfucks are dishing out. Anyway.

Lastly, I've been studying for the CPA exam. I did say again, because almost 20 years ago, I attempted it. And failed miserably. Instead, I took the next 4 years pursuing and obtaining my MBA thinking this will propel me into the next level. Wrong. It has not. With some of the recent changes the PA government instituted in the CPA examination and certification process, I've decided to give it another shot. Some people asked why when you don't have many more years to work before retirement. My answer is "It IS because I have 10 more years to work." I'm not doing it in the hopes to earn 6 figure salaries. (If that happens, FANTASTIC.) I'm doing it to remain competitive in this job market. (Remember my comments in the last paragraph.) Employers want cheap labor and these days quality is discounted over quantity. (CA has an All-you-can-eat mentality.) Get someone young and dumb and lacking plumb has become the drive in Corporate America these days. (A little play on words with another expression.) Don't go with the experienced, possibly higher paid, worker. Go cheap with the inexperienced and willing to be underpaid recent grad. The joke however is on Corporate America. The kids the colleges are churning out in scores don't want to make $30,000 per year. They're expecting to be paid the market value the same as someone with 30 years experience. This is a bullshit sense of entitlement that the brats these days seem to have been convinced is their right. Not true, kiddies. I got out of college with 10 years of debt. I made shit money and managed to have a place to live and some party times and I paid off my college loans. Therefore, to stay competitive and hopefully edge out the younger brood and manage to still ask for the top dollar (not because I deserve it or want it, but because shit is just so friggin' expensive), I am throwing in again to become a CPA. If this turns out to be a total fail, sobeit. I will go back to my roots and get a paper route.

The one good thing that has happened recently that has made all of this bearable, Bloom County is back. Now bring back Far Side and life will be good. Until my next rant, keep your powder dry and your drinks wet. TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever