Skip to main content

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter, who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime.

The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two white University of New Mexico female students, who were abducted while walking home from a restaurant in 1981 by an hispanic predator bent on rape and murder. A book was written about this event. The victims, Colene Bush (the survivor) and Julie Jackson, aged 19 at her death, should be remembered first before I discuss the piece of garbage (PoG) who still lives and breathes to this day.
Colene seen here in 2011 with Julie in a snapshot as she was in 1981.
 Photo by Roberto E. Rosales 
The PoG abducted these two women off the streets of Albuquerque with one purpose in mind. Rape and murder. He forced both women into his car with a 4-inch kitchen knife. He altered his automobile so that the only way out was by the driver's door. With no means of escape, he drove his innocent, intelligent and honest, hard-working hostages out of town into the desert to an arroyo at the foot of the Sandia Mountains. He forced Colene into his car's trunk so he could do what he wanted to Julie. Colene clawed her way out of the trunk into the backseat of the car and escaped by the driver's door. With a broken foot from a previous injury, she tried to flee the scene. Noticing she was gone, he went after her. He caught up to Colene and stabbed her 33 times (the tip of his knife breaking off and embedding in Colene's spine, where it remains today). He left the scene speeding away in his car leaving both women for dead. Colene with the amazing perseverance that leaves me in awe crawled to nearby Route 66. This was no small feat. She had lost 75% of her blood. Her throat was cut. She was stabbed in her arms, back and chest. You have to admire the mental determination this young woman had to endure the attack and attempt to survive. Her will to live was more than strong. It was invincible. Lucky for her, two young men in a car spotted her and came to her rescue. She died twice on the way to Emergency. And she was revived twice. She spent weeks in the hospital and in hiding until the culprit was apprehended. Colene has spent most of her life healing both physically and mentally from her ordeal. If you watch this program, you would wish nothing but the best for this lady.

Now for the part that really pisses me off.

This PoG was convicted and given the death penalty, which is what he deserved for being an "Anglo" hating-murdering-raping bastard. He revealed his hate for Anglos to the women as he drove them into the desert. The abduction may have been random, but he had a full plan all laid out in his mind. A conviction and a death penalty, what could go wrong? Case closed. Justice upheld. Not so fast, pal. Former Gov. Toney Anaya (D) is what went wrong. As a last act before departing from office (at that time, New Mexico did not permit Governors to seek consecutive terms), out of spite toward the incoming Governor Garrey Carruthers (R), a pro death penalty advocate, he commuted his sentence along with the other 4 death row inmates in 1986. WHAT??? There ya go. Hispanics looking after Hispanics. Maybe? But the real deal here is this clown was and has always been against the death penalty. The PoG who raped and murdered Julie Jackson and almost murdered Colene Bush was spared death. This PoG inmate's name is Michael Guzman. Here's what the lucky bastard looks like today.
PoG murdering rapist, Michael Guzman
You ask, "Why is he such a lucky bastard? He's still in prison." Yes, but for how long. With the commutation he becomes eligible for parole. This animal should never be allowed to walk the streets of New Mexico. And not only that this asshole has been married 4 times and has sired as many children. I use the term "sired" because an animal does not father offspring. Think about it, Julie never had the chance to be married or have children. Her fiance never had the chance to marry her, raise children and live a life with her. Why has this or any individual in prison been permitted to be married SEVERAL times and fathered children? And one further note, while this bastard hopefully rots and dies in prison, the children that his women produced are not being supported by him. Prison inmates do not have to pay child support while incarcerated in New Mexico. Translation: Most likely these kids are being supported by taxpayer's dollars. In 1983, New Mexico permitted conjugal visits for inmates. Conjugal Visits!!! WTF??? They're in prison. They're supposed to be being punished. They should not be given the luxury of living a normal life. They are pariah to decent American society. These bastards are getting laid more often than I am. And I am a law abiding, tax paying, free man, citizen of these United States!!!

After 30 years, he came up for parole and thankfully was denied. This PoG has been moved several times from prison to prison because everywhere he goes he makes enemies within the system. He was beaten nearly to death in 2011, deservedly so. Now, he's trying to sue the State of New Mexico for the beating. This snake has tried several times over his 30 year incarceration to appeal his sentence and conviction by flimsy means. Once claiming he was drunk and the jury didn't know that. His rationale was that they might give him a lesser sentence. Why should that matter? As we have seen in cases with drunk driving deaths, you still go to prison, sometimes for life. Some people just don't get it. Only you can be responsible for your actions. Several times he's claimed he never committed the crimes. Wha, wha, WHAT??? And to add insult to injury, he has gone so far as to tattoo both women's names on his back. If anyone deserved death, it's this PoG.

By my observation and research, I conclude that this state as well as many other states have failed its law abiding citizens time after time with their lenient or weak judicial decisions. They send the wrong message to the criminal element. Make as many mistakes as you want because the consequences will always be less than deserving. It sickens me to think that the victims continue to be victimized after their ordeal by the perpetrator and the system that is supposed to be their voice for justice.

I encourage everyone to contact their Congressional persons and demand stricter control and harsher penalties toward violent criminals who murder, rape, molest and generally disrupt the peace and lives of the American public.

If you want to read more, click on these links for newspaper accounts of this horror.

Albuquerque Journal:
03/20/2011
08/02/2013

For the stories about the PoG's imprisonment issues,click below.

Albuquerque Journal - 01/12/2012
KQRE TV - 01/29/2014
Daily Mail.com - 10/25/2012

May this MoFo die a horrible, painful death! Amen!!

Comments

  1. If this POG ever gets out someone should give him the original sentence which was the correct one.To think that he has been allowed to procreate makes me want to vomit.I hope and prey he dies a miserable painful death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, wanted to thank you for expressing what I'm still processing, even after all these years. I've not yet tied myself to this case in any way since the only way I'm connected (I say only, I loved her so dearly) was Julie being my best friend from 5th grade till her end, and even after I moved away in the 9th grade, we wrote each other religiously 3x a week without fail all those years.

    When I got news of her murder, I went into such an emotional shutdown that my sister didn't tell me a book had been written and that she'd kept an eye on news stories all these years. I wasn't even able to do a search until last fall, and that with the help of a psychologist.

    I've not been able to write much more than this, but for anyone else finding this post you've written about it, here is more context on someone's life coming to such a horrible end, and it not stopping there at all. I am autism spectrum, and Julie was kind to me as a child when others were not. We developed a very deep bond for many years, and I was never able to share with her when I went on without her- my marriage, kids, grandkids... I may not be in that part of her story, but somewhere, if they kept them, someone still has a big box full of letters from me to her that spans at least 4 1/2 years.

    I wrote this for others who go through this kind of loss trauma- "hybrid- how robots go on" https://pinkyguerrero.blogspot.com/2015/10/hybrid-how-robots-go-on.html

    Thank you for standing up for this injustice. I still can't bring myself to read the book, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely shocking I've just watched the surviving evil what happened to these two girls was depraved and disgusting and horrific these ladies have my up most respect and that sick animal should be on death row I feel for Julie's boyfriend too what a lively man he is caring and would've made a lovely caring husband God bless both girls R.I.P Peace Julie xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also just watched in surviving evil the dreadful ordeal of Julie and Colene.
    Colene is a real survivor and Thank Christ she made it (only just .......) !

    I sure hope this Michael Guzman is still where he should be (October 2021) ?
    I was appalled to see how he had been able to marry 3 or 4 times and produce children as well !
    How nice to have a Dad like Michael Guzman ..............
    I wonder if this buffoon might have received IVF at tax-payers expense in case of fertility problems ??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever

Fargo

I am usually not one to post television or movie reviews. I used to leave that to my sister . However, sometimes there's something that I like that much that I am compelled to share it. Two brothers, Ethan and Joel Coen, have been filmmakers (writers/producers) for 30 years. Their first was Blood Simple in 1984 and most recent, Bridge of Spies (2015). I have seen just about all their films. I would rate each one 4 to 5 stars out of 5. My least favorite would be Raising Arizona (1987). I'd give it 3 stars. I like their storytelling style. One film stands out as one of my all time favorites, Fargo (1996). But I'm not going to go on about that film. I don't want to bore you if you've seen it. I also don't want to spoil anything if you haven't. I want to enlighten you to the FX TV series  (2014-). The Coen brothers are listed as Executive Producers. The series, like the film, opens up claiming that this is a "true story".  It's not. It's fi