Skip to main content

Fargo

I am usually not one to post television or movie reviews. I used to leave that to my sister. However, sometimes there's something that I like that much that I am compelled to share it. Two brothers, Ethan and Joel Coen, have been filmmakers (writers/producers) for 30 years. Their first was Blood Simple in 1984 and most recent, Bridge of Spies (2015). I have seen just about all their films. I would rate each one 4 to 5 stars out of 5. My least favorite would be Raising Arizona (1987). I'd give it 3 stars. I like their storytelling style. One film stands out as one of my all time favorites, Fargo (1996). But I'm not going to go on about that film. I don't want to bore you if you've seen it. I also don't want to spoil anything if you haven't. I want to enlighten you to the FX TV series (2014-). The Coen brothers are listed as Executive Producers.
The series, like the film, opens up claiming that this is a "true story".  It's not. It's fiction, but if you accept that premise, it makes the story so much more fantastic and believable. The first season was sort of a retelling of the movie with some additional twists. The second season is a new story with plots and subplots that appears it should all come together in the final episode. If you have a decent cable service you can watch both seasons On Demand. The first season will cost you, but I believe with all the crap that's on TV today, it's a worthy entertainment expense.

Similarities:

  • All three vehicles take place in the past. Film (1987), 1st Season (2006), 2nd Season (1979)
  • All the stories are located in or near Fargo, ND, which translates to the actors having Mid-West accents. It's more tolerable than Southern accents.
  • Each one is listed on IMDB as Crime, Drama, Thriller(s).
  • Wikipedia lists it as (an) "anthology black comedy–crime drama", which I believe is a more accurate description. I found a lot of dark humor, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
  • The stories are about murders, the police investigations and capture of or justice meted out to the perpetrators.
  • In my opinion, just about every main character is despicable and warrants no sympathy from the audience. A common thread in most Coen films.
  • The only characters that I could side with are the hardworking deputies. Film: Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand), 1st Season: Gus Grimly (Colin Hanks) and 2nd Season: Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson).
  • I found that I wanted bad things to happen to all the other characters because they appear (to me) to lack morals.
  • Both seasons 1 and 2 have 10 episodes. Enough shows to entertain without making you feel that you have just signed up for a Record/CD/DVD of the Month Club membership. Remember them?
There are enough differences to know that you are watching a different story. No need to list them here. Many films/shows fall into sequelitis. The original being the best and everything after is a poor copy. This franchise does not suffer those foibles. Examples: The Indiana Jones movies. The original and the third were great. The second and fourth not so much. The Star Trek series. The original TV cast films (6 in all) were huge successes. I am a huge fan. The reboot of which at present contains two films with a total of 4 planned are meh. I'm ambivalent. I like them enough to watch if they're on a movie channel but would not pay theater money to see them.  However, they were favored by younger generations. If I suspend my knowledge of the existence of the original material, I could love them but I suffer from being a purest. Just like, I find the Arthur (2011) remake with Russell Brand as the titled character and Helen Mirren as Hobson unwatchable. Really? A woman to portray the greatest butler character that ever graced the screen, John Geilgud. Pe-leeeze!!! I think I'd vomit if I watched that travesty. Then again the Dudley Moore sequel of Arthur (1981), Arthur 2: On The Rocks (1988) was fair to meh. But I digress.

I almost feel like I'm not telling you enough, but I really don't want to give away anything. It is truly something you want to experience first hand without too much back story. You know, like your first beer, your first date, the first time you did the horizontal hoedown. You get my gist.
The Disney version of the Vertical Hoedown
Now what I'd really like to see is a show where every character is just plain evil, an abomination to mankind where they all die by the final episode. Oh, yeah. We have something like that already, sort of (The American Horror Story series). Not a fan.

The second season of Fargo can be seen on Monday nights at 10 p.m. on FX (in HD, Comcast 824 or 45, if you have an old, crappy low def TV.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever