Skip to main content

Auto Insurance - The Art of the Scam

Hopefully, the title caught your eye. I don't want to say that all insurance companies are out there to scam you out of your money, but I find insurance company reasoning puzzling. In March, I leased a new car, a 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium Energi Hybrid in a bright ruby red. It's a plug-in hybrid. It came with all the "bells and whistles". I got rid of the Jeep Wrangler. Sorry Jeepster, but 13 miles per gallon is just unacceptable. This lack of economical gas mileage "drove" me to do it. Though I've been receiving amazing gas mileage with the Fusion (averaging between 80 and 100+ miles per gallon), I have not saved in all aspects of this new economical and automotive endeavor.

In the 1,300 miles the first month and half I've owned this vehicle I've only gassed up twice. First after I put on about 500 miles and then again about 800 miles later. My electric bill has not increased noticeably. From this POV, I feel I have saved enough to make up for the increased $125 per month lease payment. Overall, I think I'm even.

UNTIL!!! 

I received my new State Farm insurance invoice. My insurance increased by nearly $400 per year (approximately $35 per month). It may not seem like much, but it draws questions.

This car is loaded with safety features. Shouldn't that cut down the rate? I have all the other discounts (safe driver, multicar, multiple line, antitheft, vehicle safety and accident-free). I added no new insurance features or changed any of the old. So, what caused the increase?

I called my agent. I spoke with one of her office personnel. It appears this young lady really didn't have a clear answer but she surmised (as I did) that because the car was so high-tech that repairs would be costly in case of an accident. (I can only imagine the insurance rates on a Lamborghini or an Alfa Romeo or a Mini Cooper. I conveyed to her as I stated above that the car has so many features to protect from getting in an accident. Wouldn't that eliminate the odds of an accident? Shouldn't the owner/leaser be rewarded with lower insurance rates? Apparently not.

But before we rung off, she did look at my account to see if there were any discounts I'm not taking advantage. Well, there was one. Taking a Driver Safety course. A WHAT??? An online Driver Safety course. For people over 55, you could receive an added discount for completing a qualified Driver Safety course that rewards you with a certificate of completion. The proof needed to receive the discount. Completing this course would yield me an extra $55 discount per service period. That would be an extra $110 per year in my pocket and not in State Farm's.

AARP, of which I am a member, has an online program for about $20 and is good for 5 years. In 5 years, I will have to retake the bleeping course to continue to receive the discount. It's an 8 hour program in 6 units. I have completed 2 units so far. It took me half a day. There's no way I'm going to complete this course in 8 hours. On top of that, it is boring as all hell. EXCEPT!!! The following data I found most interesting and compels me to affirm my belief that persons over 70 years of age SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING.

Note the red area. People over 70 are dangerous drivers. (AARP)
The results show a U-shape. The opposite of most empirical data (bell shape). Now, of course, my age group is about as bad as those 30 years younger. What causes these accidents and fatalities. I'm glad you asked. Below are the analysis by states (of my choosing) that might interest you that I pulled off the AARP course web site. One interesting fact. Don't move to or drive in Florida. It's a death trap state.

They have a 75 mph speed limit on most of their highways.



No doubt sexting is the cause here.

Most likely attributed to being angry about the poor performance of the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia sports teams. I think it's really fan suicides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever