Skip to main content

Toyotas

I had mentioned something about this in my post, Hate, but would like to embellish. I despise Toyotas. No, I hate Toyotas. I should clarify. I don't hate the vehicle. I'm presume that it's a well built commodity that everybody seems to own or want to own. And I'm sure it's more than just the very attractive spokesperson, Jan (Laurel Coppock), in the TV commercials. According to Statista, in 2019, Ford and then Toyota were the most purchased automobile brands in the United States.

Laurel Coppock (Jan from Toyota)
I'd like to state (without evidence); 1 out of 5 drivers really suck at driving. When I say suck, I mean:
  • They cut off other cars while lane changing, 
  • They don't use turn signals, 
  • They drive past dusk with headlights off,
  • They speed,
  • They tailgate,
  • They run through red traffic lights and stop signs, 
  • They are reckless and erratic,
  • They crash (sometimes into each other, but mostly into other makes and models),
  • They disrupt my life.
The list is not complete, but you get the picture.

Following my theory, let's do some math. If 1 in 5 drivers suck, that would mean Ford and then Toyota drivers would be the most offensive. And yet, my witnessing finds this not to be true.

I drive the Pennsylvania Turnpike about 16 miles each way every weekday. I drive white-knuckled with my heart in my mouth. Figuratively speaking. I actually do not fear death. I will take it when it comes. We're all going to die. No one gets out of this life alive. However, I would not want to be an automotive statistic because of the moronic driving of a fellow turnpike traveler.

On any given day, this is my drive. The turnpike is crowded. We are at a crawl. It is what it is. You grin and bear it. But there's a select few who think they have the right to push their way into spaces between vehicles half their car size because they need to get somewhere and where they've got to be is much, much more important than where you or anyone else has to be. That person making that brilliant attempt would be a Toyota driver. I find that the majority of the Turnpike travelers use their turn signals and give fair warning and enough time and space to make a lane change. Not so the Toyota motorist. They will suicide bomb their way into traffic. I'm not opining as much bearing witness. These are events that have occurred to me and others for I am not the only victim to this rudeness and danger.

Another time the traffic was exceptionally slow. I wagered to no one there that there was an accident. Sure enough, I would have won that bet. Once I got to the place of the incident, one of the vehicles involved was, yes, a Toyota; the other was a GMC pick-up truck. Neither was drivable. Both were on flatbed tow trucks. If only it could have been two Toyotas, then there'd be two less on the road. But they probably, would only go out and buy another. It's perpetual.

I had a nightmare once. I was driving westerly in the center of the three lane Pennsylvania Turnpike. To my left was a RAV4; to my right was a Prius; to the front, a Tundra and behind me a Highlander. I was surrounded. Toyotas everywhere. I was driving flop-sweating. Then the Tundra moved to the right lane (sans turn signal). The RAV4 pulled in front of me in kind. The Prius pulled in behind me and lastly, the Highlander pulled up to the left of me. They continued to circle me like buzzards around a frightened and startled wildebeest.
Every driver on the street not in a Toyota

I whimpered at the four vehicles. "Leave me alone! I'm only trying to get to work!" But alas, this was not to be, yet. I don't know where the music was coming from but I swear I heard singing to the West Side Story song "The Jet Song."

It's Toyota, 
Toyota all the way,
Forever and ever,
until we crash later today,
It's Toyota, 
Wherever we meet,
Until they scrape us
off of the street.
Toyota, Yeah!

Then one of them, possibly the RAV4, but maybe the Prius said to me, "So, little Nissan, where do you think you're going? This is Toyota territory. You're gonna pay." I woke up screaming. Scared the shit out of my cat. I was dreading yet another ride into work. I swear this really happened, maybe.

Even when I'm home and awake, they invade my life. One Saturday morning, I was watching the local news on TV. They were reporting how overnight a car driving too fast missed the turn in a curve and drove into the side of a home's garage. The residents were unharmed. However, their garage was totaled. Their vehicle in the garage may have survived with little to no damage. But while I watched this the camera was shooting a long shot of the vehicle hanging four feet off the ground into the side of the house. My first thought was: It's a Toyota. I can't say I hate it when I'm right, because I don't. I love being right. And I'm right more times than I'm not. The camera man was brave enough to get closer to show the rear-end of the vehicle. And sure enough, this is what I saw:

Toyota insignia. Not the actual offending vehicle
Another inebriated Toyota driver strikes again. I'm sure his vehicle was undrivable. I'm positive after his insurance paid him; he'd be back to buy another.

As I overstated, I've witnessed these acts all too often. And going back to the statistics, you would think that comparatively, I'd see as many Ford as Toyota scofflaws, but I don't. And I do see many Fords on the Turnpike. I can only conclude that Ford drivers are courteous and more careful. Or Toyota has groomed their drivers to think they own not only that Prius, Corolla or Camry, but they own the road too. Another theory is only ASSHOLES buy Toyotas. Thus, the majority of bad drivers (assholes) on the roads are Toyota drivers.

I conclude that for the most part 1 in every 5 drivers are horrible unless you're a Toyota driver, then the ratio is 3 out of 5 drivers who should have their licenses revoked, their cars impounded and put on a strict diet of bread and water. Nothing too harsh, you know.

The Coronavirus has afforded me one thing this last month plus. I don't have to drive the Turnpike and only have to see local Toyotas. And this past Saturday afternoon when I was coming home from the supermarket with my mask on, I witnessed a Toyota running a red light that had clearly been red for a solid 3 seconds. Luckily, the cross traffic had not proceeded forward. Otherwise, it would have been: Accident on York Road. News at 11.

Drive safe. Stay safe. Wear masks and gloves, (if you have them) if you have to go out. And for fux sake, stay away from each other. Until next time, TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever