Skip to main content

Tiger King - A Review (Critique)

There's been a lot of murmur and talk about this Netflix documentary about a group of people. This group has one thing in common. No, it's not the tigers. It's that they are all fahken nuts. Seriously. If you haven't read my post on zoos, click it. The long and short of it is: I don't fahken like them. Animals don't belong behind bars in habitats unnatural to their real life. These clowns, they are all clowns too, buy, sell and breed tigers, lions and a Liger, a Lion (male) and Tigress mating. I'm not even sure how that's possible. Or if it should be possible. Or legal. 


I went looking and found that there are several other animal classifications that have this anomaly. Whether by design or an accident of nature, it's just plain weird. From a website known as Twisted Sifter in 2012, they listed 10 bizarre hybrid animals. Check it out. I don't get it. Why to we have to fahk with nature?

Speaking of nature. The nature, or more precisely, the personality it takes to want to own a personal zoo goes beyond my comprehension. The cost is astronomical. And if you have that kind of money, you could probably do better in a more acceptable mainstream business, like a Dollar Store. Because these people have really Dollar Store mentality. You know what I mean. We've all been in Dollar Stores and Walmarts. There is a certain type that seems to be in their natural environment. Do I sound like a snob? Well, get over it, Tinker Bell.

You know when you watch a program or a movie you try to relate to one of the characters, maybe even side with that character. There's not one fahken character I want to side with. These people are all dirtbag assholes. Not one of them have redeeming qualities. The self proclaimed Tiger King, Joe Exotic, or Joseph Schreibvogel, or Joe Maldonado, or Joe Maldonado-Passage, call him what you will, he's so far out there you almost believe he's putting on an act, but I don't think he is. I think he is really this fuct-up dude that is batshit crazy over big cats.

If I spoil any of the show for you here, you've been warned and should have seen this by now. I'm like the last one to get on-board, only because I find the subject matter distasteful. I repeat, see my post about zoos.

The suicide of Joe Exotic's spouse, Travis Maldonado, only seen through the facial expressions of Joe's campaign manager via office video falls a tad short of gratuitous violence. However, there was plenty of violence especially between the hungry tigers. They knew when it was feeding time. They'd jump all over each other. Fight over a cow leg. Yes, a real cow leg. And then there was the scene where a handler got his/her arm bit off. It was fairly graphic. This is definitely not for the squeamish or the young-uns.

This documentary gives us the look behind the curtain of some of the strangest businesses I've never heard of. And I really didn't realize there was a massive amount of private zoos. Zoos that contain wild life if set free could maim and kill and eat every small dog in its path. No Labradoodle, Cockapoo, Yorkie, Goldendoodle, Boxador or Chiweenie would be safe if Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my, would go on a rampage.

I'd be amiss and lying if I did not admit I hung on with mouth agape watching every minute of this 7 part series that totaled 300 plus minutes. That's time I'll never get back. But I was in good company. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the series rated 8 out of 10 with a 93% approval rating. [Wikipedia] I can understand why the high viewership. You're trapped indoors because of the Coronavirus. You've watched and rewatched all your favorite programs and movies. You needed to find something else. And when you may be paying a fahkload of money for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and just plain old cable (Xfinity, Time Warner, Fios, etc.), you might as well use it. Right?

I can't say I enjoyed every minute of it. Most of it was skin-crawling-worthy. But like a train wreck, car accident, a jumper on top of a building threatening to jump off, you are drawn to watch. Not that you want to see the gore as much as you need to know how it ends. How it all works out. I constantly kept saying to myself, "Are you going to watch another episode? What is wrong with you?" But I ignored that little voice in my head and watched on.

My opinion is: Watch it if you dare. It was interesting but at the same time disturbing. Also, they all should be in prison and the animals sent to Africa where they belong. Another take away: I think that Baskin woman killed her geezer filthy rich husband. All signs point to it. Watch the episode about her husband's disappearance then watch any of the dozens of crimes aired on HLN's Forensic Files. You'll swear there are a lot of parallels. Just saying. No millionaire just disappears on his own volition. He doesn't just walk away or fly away or whatever bullshirt story she fed law enforcement. A law enforcement agency who are a bunch of Yahoo! Florida good 'ol boys who wouldn't know how to solve a missing persons/murder case if Carol Baskin jumped up and down waving her arms and screaming, "I did it! I did it! I did it!" We, also, know that she will never confess to murdering her husband. Also, look into her eyes. If that don't give you the heebie-jeebies and nightmares, you're a stronger person than I am. I wouldn't court that beach even with the promise of millions of dollars. Until next time, TTFN.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever