Skip to main content

Coronavirus, Part 11 - The Commercials

I hate commercials. All commercials. Even the funny ones after a while are annoying to the nth degree. But lately because of the COVID-19 pandemic, they've been aimed at advertising home delivery or curbside pick-up of EVERYTHING! I mean, everything. Bob's Furniture has a commercial informing the buyer that they will deliver your online purchase to your location contactless. Which is great if you really need that loveseat or couch, but you better be able to lug your purchase inside by yourself. Just about all restaurants are now delivering though through 3rd party delivery systems (Uber Eats, Grubhub, Door Dash, etc.). Commercials have been barely tolerable in their original huckster format, but now adding this constant reminder that we are imprisoned in our own houses and can't go to our favorite restaurants to sit down and enjoy a meal in peace is borderline sticking the knife in and giving it a twist. Contactless delivery is great if you don't mind the delivery person leaving your food on the ground outside your house or apartment. I don't do much eating out as it is because it has become so goddamn expensive. But on weekends, we like to treat ourselves.


This past Sunday, we treated ourselves to Applebee's curbside pick-up, which has been a staple with Applebee's for years. For two entrees and a nice tip came to nearly $50.00. This did not include any beverages, appetizers or dessert. Well, there was an onion soup involved and it was delicious. The night before we couldn't decide what we wanted. In the past, we'd just jump into the car, drive and land somewhere once our taste buds directed us to an establishment. But sitting in the living room, you have no idea. You don't have that visual stimulus to assist you. After debating for over an hour, nothing was decided. It was after 7. If we actually had made a decision, by time we got through to any restaurant, we wouldn't be eating until after 8 most likely closer to 9. I bailed and went home instead. I don't know what my GF had for dinner, but at around 8 pm I settled for string cheese, an apple and a strawberry filled granola snack bar. Not dinner, but it's better than going to bed hungry. This new dining out process takes a lot more planning and you can't wait until dinnertime to make your plans. It's another level of being prepared for anything.

I've gotten a little off track here, but you understand how commercials drive your desires. Which is what they're supposed to do. However, during this time it feels more like a gibe. I know it's not their intention. They have businesses to run; employees to pay; mouths to feed. You can't help to miss the way things used to be. The way things are now; it is more trouble than it's worth to venture out to eat. Drive-thrus are backed up circling around the fast food establishments. The simple solution is to buy enough groceries and learn to cook. I cook most nights, but I like to take the weekends off and go out. I'm looking at that as something that might be a thing of the past too.

The commercials that annoy me most are the ones thanking the first responders and front line personnel. They most likely are working 12 plus hour shifts and are not likely to see these thank yous. I know the intentions are honorable, but not highly effective. And a constant reminder that life is not going to be normal for a long time to come. I think it would be more appropriate to just hammer us over the head with commercials telling us to just STAY THE FAHK HOME!

I got that off my chest. I feel better now. Not! Keep safe. And you only need to wash your hands if you go out in public and touch things. If you're staying inside, you don't need to wash your hands as often except after using the bathroom. For crying out loud! Wear masks. In PA, it's a directive. You won't be served in supermarkets, etc. without one. Use a bandanna if you have to. Until next time, TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever