Skip to main content

Coronavirus, Part 12 - Dr. Lorna M. Breen - A Sad End

I did not know this doctor. I had no knowledge what she did. None of her tribulations or successes. I knew nothing...until she died. It's impossible to know everybody in the world. That's a given. And it's just as impossible to know some or any of the front line medical combating the COVID-19 Coronavirus. Dr. Breen was one of those front line medics.
Dr. Lorna M. Breen
This is not so much a nod to this dear woman as much as to give you an idea that there are thousands like her dealing with all this and in many cases, we take it for granted or just are inadequate to showing appreciation. All the Blue Angel and Thunderbird flyovers over New York City, New Jersey and Philadelphia is not going to show the appreciation that the front liners would get as much as having the PPE needed to do their jobs.

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,” said the father of Dr. Lorna M. Breen per a New York Times interview and article. Many of the medical community who die are killed by the virus. Yet, there are those that are killed by this virus by different means. In this case, suicide. How she died is not important. To deal with death everyday, more than you are accustomed to can be very soul crushing. I know I'm not involved by no means with caring for anyone but me. I find it soul crushing enough to watch the news and hear first hand from a few medical people who I have close contact with and not being able to do anything helpful about any of this. All I can do is stay home and do what the medical community and the government has asked me to do.

I have a girlfriend and several cousins who are nurses. And I'm concerned about them everyday. The concern can be very soul crushing too. But this is not about me or even any of you. It's about how we deal with a smidgen compared to what our hospitals and their staff have to deal with.

I'll give you some background on Dr. Breen. I've gleamed this from the internet newspapers. You could get the whole story there. What you mostly will get here from me is a lecture. Which I'll impose upon you later in this BLOG.

Dr. Breen was 49 years old. Young compared to me. She was the Medical Director of the emergency department at New York-Presbyterian Allen Hospital in the upper Manhattan neighborhood of Inwood. While caring for the onslaught of Coronavirus patients, she contracted it too. She recovered and returned to work only to be sent home again. She would continue to text her coworkers to encourage and keep in touch. I can only identify with the felling of the inability to help. I have that everyday because I know I don't have the skills to help. Where Dr. Breen had the skills but could not do what needed to be done.

It was clear to her family that she was going through something. They intervened and brought her home to Virginia. Unfortunately, Dr. Breen had seen too much and lived through too much horror to be able to deal with it any longer.

Aside from work, Dr. Breen filled her time with friends, hobbies and sports, friends said. She was an avid member of a New York ski club and traveled regularly out west to ski and snowboard. She was also a deeply religious Christian who volunteered at a home for older people once a week, friends said. Once a year, she threw a large party on the roof deck of her Manhattan home. [The New York Times]

There were as many as 170 Covid-19 patients for a hospital that only had 200 beds total. As of April 7, there were 59 patient deaths. Doctors and nurses witness death every day, but during these times they have to be concerned about getting ill themselves and to possibly infect their coworkers. There's a lot of stress.

Here's part of a statement issued from NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia: "Dr. Breen is a hero who brought the highest ideals of medicine to the challenging front lines of the emergency department."

She sounded like a wonderful human being. Gone too soon. It's always sad to see that a talented, dedicated doctor succumbed to this tragic medical event. Like I've said in other BLOGs, we are far from seeing that light at the end of the Coronavirus tunnel despite what the asshat Trump says. He knows nothing. He's not a doctor. Now for the lecture as promised.

We don't know when this is going to end. The Virus has not told us when it's gong to be through with kicking our asses. So...we need to do whatever it is to stop the spread. This means, we don't open up the states and go back to business as usual. It's too soon. We need to stay home as much as possible.

We need to stop stressing (and killing) our medical staff in our area hospitals because we are too ignorant and too entitled to stay home and stay healthy. Also, just because you feel great doesn't mean you're not infected. Open up a book or search the internet about Typhoid Mary. You could be a Typhoid Mary carrying the illness and infecting others who are susceptible even if you don't show any symptoms and feel great!

Also, no one is going to foreclose on your house or kick you out of your apartment for lack of payment if you are unemployed because of this. All it would take would be a phone call to Action News or whatever investigative reporter you have in your area reporting this and you'd see how fast they'd be up your mortgage lender or landlord's butt with a cattle prod, video camera and a microphone. You don't need to be out there.

If you are in need, there are agencies out there offering free food and whatever you may need. There are kind people in this country who know how and are willing to help their fellow Americans. Something your government is engaging in half-assedly. You don't need to be out spreading disease. You need to stay home.

Lastly, stop believing in all the bullshit that idiots like Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and other non-medical politico douche bags who don't have your best interest in mind. They're just looking for ratings and scoring points with the sheep that follow these clowns. Also, if you are a Trump supporter and want to believe all the bull he's spewing then go ahead and inject yourself with disinfectant, they're only be less of you voting for him in November. Go ahead. I dare you. I double fahken dare you.

So, stay home and binge watch something. Take up reading. Most of you don't do enough of it. Learn to cook. And lastly, stay healthy. Don't make a mockery of the sacrifice Dr. Lorna Breen gave. Her and her comrades. Lecture over. Class dismissed.

Until next time, TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever