Skip to main content

Cats – To Lap or Not to Lap


A Pair of Cute Kittens
What makes some cats lap cats and others standoffish? I’ve had cats around me most of my life. As a teen, we had a family cat that would sleep at the bottom of my sleeping bag in the family travel-trailer that my parents purchased and parked in the Poconos. I hate the Poconos. All summer long almost every weekend when I wanted to be down the Jersey shore, we were in the Poconos. Of course, we brought the animals, yes, my younger siblings, but also the cat and dog. I mean, if I had to suffer through the family vacations and weekends, they had to too. As with cats, this one was a female, she went into heat one summer day and her constant howling drove my father crazy. So, he let her loose outside. Of course, she came home pregnant. I can tell you the man didn’t understand birth control. After all he sired five children. This cat later that summer gave birth to a litter of six. We gave Mom and five kittens away and kept the male calico. For those who are unfamiliar with cats, a male calico is very rare. But prior to the giving away the kittens, they would be schlepped to the Poconos with the rest of us. You can’t leave them home alone. (They wouldn't do that for me either.) No one was going to feed or care for them at home. And as kitties are playful and nocturnal, they would wake up and play in the middle of the night running back and forth in the cabin slamming into the bunks, etc. It was a joy to watch. Cats are very entertaining. Dogs are too, but this is about CATS. Dang-it! 

A time came when the family was moving to Florida. We piled into the family wagon and headed south. At a stop somewhere in the Carolinas, my mother went into the camper-travel trailer we were towing behind us. And at that point, Calico sneaked out the door and into the nearby woods. Never to be seen again. With my parents, it was a wonder they didn’t lose a few kids over the years. However, as Mom-cat was a lap cat, liking the close proximity to me. Her calico son was not. He tolerated being held and carried but preferred to be free to roam.
An Internet Cute Kitten


As an adult, I have acquired many cats. With ex-wife #1, we had first her one cat that was an all white male. We took in a second little fireball fluff head. Why? Who knows why women do the things they do. Neither cat was a lap cat. Generally, they did their own thing and avoided human contact. I recall the white one’s name was Dinky. More like stinky. He eventually was donated to the Animal Rescue league because he started to show unacceptable behavior. And I was not having any of that. A sore spot I'm sure with my Ex to this day. The second one, whose name I don’t recall, moved with us when we moved to Long Island. A move I regret to this day. You know they almost never get snow in Southern Florida or very cold for that matter. But New York? Long Island? For two years until the marriage thankfully broke up, every winter, I froze my ass. I don’t know whatever happened to kitty. I escaped that marriage with what little belongings and money I had left. She got the cat and everything else.

Then, there was Mr. Jinx, which I did not name. It’s a terrible name. He too was a white male that my ex-wife #2 had brought home for her two preschool aged kids. While Jinxy did not favor my Ex, he totally abhorred my stepson because tail-pulling has never been on any cat’s top ten lists of favorite things to do. He liked my step daughter I  know this because he would take nightly residence on her bed. But, he adored me. Many days I would get home from work before the three stooges, after a while that’s how I referred to them. Jinx would crawl out from under my bed where he hid most of the days to avoid contact with the other three. He would jump on the bed to join me, where I would be laying out resting after a long day of annoying interaction with coworkers. He’d climb up onto my chest, lay down and rub his face against mine purring away and getting his kitty drool all over my glasses. Like me, he was trapped in a cacophonous domain. As the Grinch would exclaim, “All the noise, noise, noise, NOISE,” so would we. We both wished for peace and quiet. The marriage broke up as all marriages do...or at least, mine. I maintain, not my fault. I did not take the cat with me. I should have. The poor little fellow died from a burst bladder a few months after my departure because my Ex did not heed the cat’s cries of pain and get him immediately to a Vet. I was heartbroken. He was a kind, gentle little guy who deserved better, as I did.

To help get over my grieving, a female coworker suggested getting another cat. I guess nothing says everything is great when you substitute a new cat for a dead one. I don’t know or understand that logic, but I did follow her advice. I got me an all-black inbred short haired kitten from a Mennonite farmer, which was playful and fun, until she wasn’t. I named her Magic, as in black Magic kitty. I’m bad at naming things too. It appears. Good thing I never had kids. I’m sure I would be estranged from my daughter, McGillicuddy and my son, Ezekiel. Anyway, she was no lap cat. She would allow me to brush her, but be damned if I would go to pick her up. Claws, claws, claws. Then I removed those claws and they were replaced with hissing, pissing and teeth. We went on that way for 15 and a half years until she became so sickly that I had to put her down. In spite of our history, I was heartbroken because I loved that little hissy fur ball. Toward the end, she welcomed being held. Go ferking figure. Of course, by then, I had acquired Potter, my current cat. The love of my life. He is the epitome of a lap cat.

Ugly Old Dad and Potter
I have written over 100 blogs and can’t recall whether I told the story of Potter. I was living in Northeast Philadelphia in Mayfair, down the street from the Home of the Bambies, St. Hubert’s High School for Girls. It was a cold, dreary November morning. It had rained the night before. I was preparing to go to work. I had just stepped out into the alley behind my house where I had to access my garage to get to the car. At that moment, trotting down the alley a tiny orangey-tan kitten came mewing toward me. And if you had a heart as big as the sun, you would have stopped and picked him up too. The poor little guy was shivering and no doubt hungry. There was no telling how long he had been out there. I took him into the garage. I laid out a blanket, some food, water and a litter box, because I can whip together just about anything when needed in a moment’s notice. I went to work leaving him safe and snug in the garage. When I got home, he was there happy and purring in my ear. I took him inside even though I knew Magic was not going to like this. She was a one female cat house. No males allowed except for the big dummy that feeds her and cleans her poop box.

It was true. She was none too happy. I spent the next few days looking for Potter's owner (I had named him. I had to call him something.), but no one stepped up, so I kept him. Magic spent the next five  years hiding. Potter wanted to play. Magic did not. I had to keep him. The former idiot owners had put on a non-breakaway collar. A breakaway collar protects kitty from getting caught on something and choking to death. And I’m not a fan of choker leashes for dogs either. Also, the same dumb-ass owners had a flea collar on him. In November! On a kitten! WTF?!?! So, he became the newest addition to my one cat, now two cats, and one man family.

If you are Facebook friend of mine, you have seen many a pic posted of my cat. He’s my most favorite photo subject and often in the picture laying across my chest in my profile pic. He’s 13 years old and still going strong, sort of. He’s been losing weight over the last few years. He may have some terminal tummy thing. I’ve spent a king’s ransom on him in Vet bills. And they know nothing. A$$holes. But I’m not ready to throw in the towel. He has a funny, odd, strange personality. JUST. LIKE. ME. We were meant to be in each other’s company.

He’s the only cat I have ever known to suffer from separation anxiety. One spring day I was driving up the shared driveway of my Mayfair home. My car windows were down. The main floor dining room window was up. I could hear from the end of the drive a cat howling as if he was being tortured. I was thinking whose cat is that. Answer: Mine. As I got closer, lo and behold, Potter was in the dining room window crying his heart out for me. He either knew the sound of my SUV or his internal clock knew that I was due home. To this day, he sits in the window waiting to see me and when he does he starts his aria. It’s funny and disturbing.

He sleeps with me just about every night. I wake up in the morning; he’s laying next to me. He’s not a large cat, but when he stretches out he takes up half the bed easily. Another of his peculiarities is he likes to be held. When I get up and stand next to the bed, he comes to the edge of the bed and stands on his hind feet stretching his body to place his front paws on my belly. This is cat body language for pick me up and hold him like a child. My youngest sister, who was living with me at the time, witnessed me carrying this cat down the stairs to feed him. She was amazed at this behavior. She had had many cats in her life and none behaved anything like this one.

Also, he’s a chow hound. He used to eat his breakfast or dinner and then nudge his sister cat out of the way to eat her food. Magic was a grazer. Potter is a gobbler. And with many gobblers, he’d overeat and then barf it all up usually on the carpet.

He’s also a liar. When my sister was living with me, she’d wake first and come downstairs first and feed Potter. Potter would then come upstairs and wake me. I’d carry him down knowing that he was trying to get a second meal out of me. It’s sort of like the first one didn’t count to him because I didn’t feed it to him.

Let’s paws…I mean, pause for a moment and discuss my girlfriend’s three million cats. There’s only three but it seems everywhere I turn…There’s a cat. There’s a cat. There’s a cat. There’s a cat. Goddamn. How many cats are in here? Thirty? And they’re all black and all male.  They move around so fast you can’t tell if the one you saw in the living room is the same one you just saw in her bedroom.

Her first one, Smokey, she rescued from the parking lot at the hospital where she works. It’s the hospital where they check in but check out with an additional body. She works in maternity. I’ve known this cat for ten years. He has only recently allowed me to pet him. He even has sat in my lap. The one thing I thought that would never happen. For years this cat would run and hide or cower from me. He had been abused by the hospital maintenance staff who didn’t appreciate paw prints on the hoods of their vehicles. (I’m not even sure these guys bathe themselves. Why should paw prints get their Fruit of the Looms in a twist?) Smokey loves sitting in my girlfriend’s lap receiving scratches and kisses. He tends to follow her from room to room like a dog. He’s showing signs of age but is still mischievous and playful. He’s a very lovable character. A definite lap cat.

The second cat she rescued was a joint effort by her and her next door neighbor. Nicky was the kitten of a Mom cat that was living in her next door neighbor’s shed. Her next door neighbor treated them like her own feeding them every day. One day Mom cat came out of the shed and promptly keeled over dead. We didn’t know what happened. Had someone poisoned her? We didn’t know. We knew mother and son roamed the neighborhood at night. Anything could have happened. Maybe she was just sickly. Bad ticker or something. So my girlfriend decided to adopt kitty #2. Nicky and Smokey became instant BFFs. Something that Potter and Magic never did. Nicky allowed my girlfriend to pick him up and hold him, but never Smokey. He was in charge and only he would say when he would be touched. 

After a while you would not want to pick up Nicky unless you were wearing a weightlifter's belt because this cat had grown to 16 pounds or more. He’s this fat cat with a little cat meow, like a big fat man with a falsetto voice. It just doesn’t match. For years, he’d come to me and let me scratch him, but for the last two years or so, he has been skittish. Of course, moving twice in two years could upset a cat. Long story short: She sold her house and moved into an apartment while waiting for her new condo to be built. She’s not a totally crazy cat lady, yet. You know like the crazy cat lady on the Simpsons. He’s beginning to come around again accepting petting but still no lap cat.

Not my Girlfriend...yet?
Well, not long either after she moved into the condo or leaving the apartment, I don’t recall, because there was a third rescued addition, Cinders. I had no hand in naming these cats. I might have named him Shadow or something mysterious. Well, the happy addition was not at all welcomed by the other two. No entrance into the all-black feline boys club. And to boot, he was HIV positive according to the traveling Vet. This means he needed to be segregated from the other two less you want to infect them. However, she’s had him several years and he appears to be healthy, happy and purrs like a motorboat at full speed. He’s almost as big as Nicky and walks with a gait like a bulldog. But his appearance is deceiving. He loves to be held, scratched, trips you up when you’re not watching as he rubs and winds his body between your legs. Receiving concussions from falling has become a norm for us. Someday, the coroner will write down - Cause of death: Cat tripping and too much lovin’.

Here's one for the road for ya. Isn't he handsome?
Cats have been in my life for 50 years. This brought me to pondering why some cats are lovable and cuddly and others are not. I searched the internet. Here’s what I found.

Cats have personalities like humans. Some are more affectionate than others. I once worked with a woman who cringed anytime someone touched her. And I mean something as simple as placing your hand or a finger on her arm to get her attention. While other people welcome you to a public groping. I know these are opposite ends of the spectrum, but you get the point. Some cats can be picked up and flipped upside down to play spider-cat on the ceiling or be held like a baby; while other cats will claw your eyes out if you try any of those shenanigans. 

Here is a list of cat behaviors to help you to identify your cat’s moods.
  • The obvious one first is your cat jumps into your lap purring and doing any of the following.
  • Purring is a sign of contentment and happiness.
  • Slow eye blinks and heat bunting (head butts), also known as allorubbing are signs of affection.
  • Face rubbing against your face, arm, etc. is also a sign of affection and/or a desire for attention or comforting.
  • If his tail is swishing back and forth violently like that carnival ride, The Whip, you’ve annoyed him. Back down or prepare to be bit, swatted at or claws dug into your thighs when he leaps to the floor turning around long enough to give you the “stink-eye” and walk away.
  • Persistent mewing is an attempt to get your attention. He’s either hungry, or his poo box is not to his liking, or he just wants to be noticed, especially when you are on the phone.
Other signs that your cat is into you:
  • Side swiping
  • Licking
  • Laying against you
  • Running to see you when you arrive and being “all over” you when you’ve been away
Now for when your cat is pissed at you:

  • He eats your tuna fish sandwich. (He may have just been acting the glutton.)
  • When his hand licking turns to biting while you're petting him. You've done it wrong.
  • When you are holding him and he's doing everything in his power including leaving six inch long two inch deep scratches in your belly. He no longer wanted your attention.
  • He takes a dump in your favorite shoes. You did something really wrong.

Here are some of the many sites you can investigate to become a better cat owner/lover. Click 'em. Go ahead. No one is watching. You've already been knocking off work to read this.
And you can also shop online cheaper than at the pet stores. Try Chewy and compare.
As you can tell, this was a fluff piece. Get it? TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever