Skip to main content

Coronavirus, Part 15 - Updates (We're Open...tremble, tremble)

It's been two weeks since I last addressed this subject. And a lot has occurred. None of it all that good. Many states (48) and their beaches, parks, etc. have reopened in full swing (or semi swing) with nearly everyone not practicing social distancing or sporting their summer mask. This is not good. I'm not just saying that because it's true. I'm saying it because the stats are proving it. If you care to accept the statistics (that is), the numbers are creeping up again and those same open states are now urging self quarantining for two weeks again.

Pensacola, FL Beach Memorial Day 2020
(Photo: John Blackie/jblackie@pnj.com)

This was just one scene from many all over this country this past weekend. Are we really ready for summer or for this? This being a repeat of what we've been dealing with the last two months. We have surpassed 100,000 deaths in the USA. We have 28% of the world deaths attributed to COVID-19. We only have 4% of the world population. That's not a good batting average. We should not be leading the pack. We're a country considered to be a major world power. This is not how a world power behaves or represents. We're going to be a world pariah. This is not a proud statistic. 

I could point out while the numbers climbed and people were being released back into the wild, the President was playing golf. I know that sounds petty, but I'm very certain FDR didn't go off and golf, bowl or ski during the first few months of WWII. I'm certain he rarely left the WH. But I'm being petty. 

What I love about the idiots that refuse to adhere to the mask wearing and social distancing is they feel their freedom is being taken. So, it's give me liberty or give me death. I guess they're choosing death. Good for them for sticking to their principles. Enjoy today because there's a great chance you'll be dead tomorrow. Stupid, stupid, stupid ideology.

This taken from a CNN Health article, May 26, 2020: In Miami Beach, a man shouted "this is a false flag, a fake pandemic" in a grocery store during a profanity-laced tirade in early May as a code compliance officer told him he needed a mask to enter. A Family Dollar security guard in Michigan was shot dead after he told a woman to wear a face mask, officials said earlier this month.

This is the kind of mentality we are dealing with. A man killed doing his job because of some entitled  cunny. I'm not concerned necessarily about their health. I'm concerned for mine. As it is, I treat every person I encounter as they're COVID positive. I can't trust that they are virus free. There are so many out there that are Asymptomatic. 

Here's a picture of the state of the states (COVID related).

CNN broadcast

Note that many of the states that have reopened are in RED. Not a good sign at all. Some states that are in yellow and green have opened or are beginning to loosen restrictions. That's fine. I can't complain on a downward trend. It's not going to change my attitude until we are like New Zealand. No new cases in their hospitals. I don't care that they're a small country. They chose the obviously correct path to follow to handle this pandemic. We did not. We, instead, called this a Democrat and Fake News Media Hoax. We pretended it didn't exist. We believed if we lied about it and willed it away; it would disappear. We also believed that spring would kill the virus. When I say We, I mean, Donald Trump. I didn't believe in any of that bullshit he was spitting out or tweeting. If he ran the government as well as he tweets (ignoring his misspellings and incorrect word choice), he would have had a very impressive pandemic result. Topping the most deaths is not impressive. 

States like Arkansas that never enacted a Stay-at-home policy because their asshat Governor, Asa Hutchinson, who supports Trump and has a brain of a mentally retarded cat, have started to see a second wave. Good for them. Continue to not wear masks, stay-at-home or social distance. Arkansas Population: Almost 0. 

In a Tuesday update, the model revised its forecast to 132,000 deaths -- which is 11,000 fewer than it projected a week ago. [CNN] However, that's still 32,000 more that there is now. Am I the only one who's concerned with that number or any number that increases what we've already witnessed? I mean, WTF? And I know some say these numbers may be inflated. Okay. Then let's say the number is closer to 120,000. Do you want to be part of the 20,000? I know I fahken don't.

Because I like pointing fingers and laying blame, these states saw a rise this week:
  1. Alabama
  2. Alaska
  3. Arkansas
  4. California
  5. Florida
  6. Idaho
  7. Louisiana
  8. Maine
  9. Mississippi
  10. Montana
  11. Nevada
  12. North Carolina
  13. North Dakota
  14. South Carolina
  15. South Dakota
  16. Tennessee
  17. Vermont
  18. Virginia
  19. West Virginia
  20. Wisconsin
States showing a downward trend in cases:
  1. Arizona
  2. Colorado
  3. Connecticut
  4. Delaware
  5. Georgia
  6. Hawaii
  7. Illinois
  8. Indiana
  9. Iowa
  10. Kansas
  11. Kentucky
  12. Maryland
  13. Massachusetts
  14. Michigan
  15. Minnesota
  16. Missouri
  17. Nebraska
  18. New Hampshire
  19. New Jersey
  20. New Mexico
  21. New York
  22. Ohio
  23. Oklahoma
  24. Oregon
  25. Pennsylvania
  26. Rhode Island
  27. Texas
  28. Utah
  29. Washington
  30. Washington, D.C.
  31. Wyoming
These indications above are based on the last 7 days trending. Though some states have done well and others horribly, no state is "out of the woods." 

Some good news: It's now believed that surface contamination is least likely to spread the virus. But you should continue to wash or sanitize your hands. Better to be safe than dead. 

There is criteria to achieve to comply with opening according to the government guidelines.

Goal #1: A sustained two-week drop in cases:

These states have trended down enough to have met this criteria: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Texas — 17 states in all and Washington, D.C. too. [Vox]

Goal #2: A low number of daily new Covid-19 cases

These states have met this criteria: Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming — 17 states. [Vox] Not the same 17, but some are repeats.

Goal #3: High Coronavirus testing capacity

These states meet this criteria: Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, and Rhode Island — for a total of 12 states. [Vox]

Goal #4: A low test-positive rate

These states meet this criteria: Alaska, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming — for a total of 23 states. [Vox] This being the best metric so far. More states are meeting this.

Goal #5: Availability of ICU beds

These states meet this criteria: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming — for a total of 30 states. [Vox] An even more impressive metric. At least, the idiots getting infected this past weekend will have a place to lay their worthless bones.

As I noted above, I had taken much of the data from Vox, a liberal-leaning American news and opinion website owned by Vox Media. I can relate to these guys. Not like Trumpees who read Neo-Nazi Weekly. 

No state hit all the marks. However, some hit more than others. They did note that three states met the most criteria: Alaska, Kentucky and New York. Not that makes them a clear winner or to raise a flag declaring victory. It just means that they're more prepared to handle this virus than other states. That alone can save lives as long as we all do our part.

Bottom line: Should we be reopening the country? Fahk No! But I guess we can't stay hiding in a cave like a hermit (I could but that's been my attitude way before the Coronavirus reared its ugly head). So, open up like a sex worker's legs and invite everyone in. Maybe in spite of it all, we'll just show that nasty virus who's the boss. Probably it is, but we can always hope we all get out of this alive. I'm still staying inside and wearing my mask when I go out and avoiding crowds like the, well, plague (Coronavirus).

I'm sure we're not done with this series. But for now, I'll leave you to make your decision on how to live your life. Don't allow me to influence you, but come with me if you want to live. (I was in Terminator mode for a moment.) Stay well. Stay home. There will be other beach days in the future once this is over. Until next time, TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever