Skip to main content

The Family Tree

This week I lost a cousin from cancer. She was young, 59. I can't say she's my favorite cousin because that would be unfair to all my other cousins. All my cousins are my favorite cousins. Every one of my relatives are precious and essential and are responsible for the person I have become. That may sound like I'm blaming people, I'm not. I'm praising them. My good comes from them. My bad is attributed to the influences and interactions with the evil bastards, mostly strangers, in the world, who have made me the cynical, vengeful and angry old man. But I'm okay with that. I've learned to harvest the best and put my best person forward. Most of the times. Meh!

On my mother's side of the family, we have lost seven blood cousins which actually include my two youngest siblings. On my father's side, as far as I know, are all intact. All my Aunts and Uncles on both sides have past accept one Aunt on each side. I have a maternal Uncle (brother-in-law) and a maternal Aunt (sister-in-law) alive and thankfully kicking. But that doesn't mean they are any less part of the family. I equally love them as family as I would a blood relative. That's goes the same for my married (in-law) cousins. You may not be blood but your are family. Matter of fact, I like some of those cousins better than my blood cousins. Yes, I love all my relatives, but that doesn't mean you don't piss me off. You know who you are!

Since I can remember, I have had relatives pass away. I've known people who have never had a relative pass until they themselves were in an advanced age. Death came with life in our family. People were born and people died. Often in a short period of time from each other. People got married. My youngest brother had a wedding planned (2000) and went on with it 4 months after our father passed. Time stands still for no one. Side note: He and his bride were both an hour late to the church. Kept all of us waiting in a damn church for over an hour. Man, was I pissed? I don't like churches.

The 2010 decade has not been kind to us or without sorrow.

My losses:

2010 - a paternal blood aunt (my dad's eldest sister)
2013 - my mother
2014 - a maternal blood aunt (my mother's youngest sister)
2015 - my youngest sister
2016 - my youngest brother
2017 - a maternal cousin (my oldest cousin on my mother's side of the fam)
2018 - a paternal uncle (my dad's brother-in-law)
2020 - a maternal cousin

That's eight passings in one decade. Seems like a lot.

My late sister had joined the Ancestry.com community 20 years ago. She started a family tree. She didn't get that far with it. Which brings me to today. I joined in 2016, but have done nothing with it. Joining costs nothing. However, to create a family tree costs. Mucho dinero. So, after some thinking, I decided that with the most recent passing in my family that I would bite the bullet, spend the money, forge on and take up where my sister left off.

I have created The Family Tree which presently is public but without knowing the name of the tree or my Ancestry account name, you can't reach it. Will I keep it public? Doubt it. Will I share it? Only with those who want to see it and only if they're family. I don't want any creepy people stalking my family. I do have some of the most beautiful people in the world in my family. That's not my opinion. That's a fact. For proof, I offer a recent picture of me.

Taken this morning before breakfast
 just after I got up. And that's the Family tree
I'm hanging from
With the help of a paternal cousin, on that side of the family, she is my favorite, we'll call her KL. We started to mold and create my paternal side of the tree. KL and I spent close to eight hours on the phone yesterday going over our Family tree because she had built one already too and was further along than mine. It had been a while since we spoke and I thought this would be great to catch up and tell tales. Which we did. According to our research our family goes back easily to the 1700s in the USA, possibly even farther back. Can any of you boast that? My maternal side not so far back. They arrived from Italy around the turn of the 20th century.

We have one great-great-great-great something, who fathered 13 children between two wives. His first wife birthed six or seven children before she died. His second wife gave him the remainder. Those farmer types really had no other forms of recreation. I guess.

Also, which I still haven't found proof, we're supposedly have a second great grandmother (great-great grandmother, I guess) that was an Iroquois Indian. So, stick that in your white devil's peace pipe and smoke it. Like I said, I still haven't seen proof. But if it's true, I think that makes me 50% Italian, 37.5% German, 6.25% Irish, Scotch or English and 6.25% Native American Iroquois Indian. I wonder if I can get a Native American Grant of some sorts.

Whether all of this is true remains to be seen. I had taken the Ancestry.com DNA test. I wrote about it here. The accuracy of the test remains to be seen too. I have my doubts. I've thought of taking it again but don't really have a $100 burning a hole in my bank account. I did retest with 23 and me. I received different results slightly. Neither test claims I have Native American blood. But! How many Native Americans are sending in DNA results?

I write this BLOG with somewhat of a heavy heart. As I am mourning my late relative, I've had to pause many times as my emotions had gotten the better of me. We persevere. We power-on. And I'll be most interested to see where my Family Tree takes me back in time and toward the future. I have a new paternal cousin (first cousin three times removed) born in 2019. Life moves forward and the tree grows many new branches and leaves. And may it always. Until next time, TTFN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever