Skip to main content

Coronavirus, Part 18 - I Told You So

I hate to say that I hate it when I'm right (correct) but that would be a fib. I love being right. And I knew I would be right in regards to the too soon reopening of the country. Why do I think it was too soon? Simple answer: Americans are too fahken stupid to follow the suggested medical advice. 
  • Wear masks
  • Social distance six feet
  • Don't congregate in large groups
For the last several months, all of the above have been ignored, mostly by the younger, entitled millennial ignoramus. And from people who think Trump walks on water. I know some people who are soooo ultra conservative that they won't wear masks or social distance and who are in their seventies. [Karens] Yikes! Talk about rolling the dice and hoping it doesn't come up snake eyes. As the map below tells a lot of the story. This is from the New York Times today.
There has been a rise in Corona case in more than half the states. 17 states have seen a rise surpassing their previous 7-day rolling highs at the height of the initial wave. 15 states have paused or reversed reopening. Some of those states are still marked above as Reopening or Reopened. 

This isn't a seasonal illness like the common cold or one of the influenza strains. This could last for years. A life in quarantine or wearing protective PPE may be the required life style changes that is being coined the "New Normal." Some companies have embraced this to the point to be producing facial wear that are decorative and trendy. For the most part, they're very affordable. So splurge. Treat yourself. Buy one or two. I own five different styles of masks.

A line that keeps popping in my head is from The Terminator when Arnold Schwarzenegger says, "Come with me if you want to live" except these days it is "Wear a mask if you want to live." All joking aside, masks are uncomfortable. You smell your breath...ALL DAY! (Gargle with mouthwash before donning a mask.) But as far as protection goes, it's better than nothing. Any barrier between you and another individual is a good barrier. There are people who don't know they're infected because they're still not showing any symptoms. 

TREAT EVERY PERSON AS IS IF THEY ARE COVID POSITIVE!

The media have been posting and broadcasting pictures of groups of unmasked people gathering and frolicking on beaches, in parks, in the streets and everywhere else. People are thinking that they are invincible. You are not. None of us are. We all are going to die. Someday. But for those of you flaunting your obscenely bare face, your time may be sooner than later.

We don't know when or if this virus is going to die out. The medical community doesn't know. And certainly not the idiot in the White House. (I'm not sure this guy ever actually graduated college with a real degree. It certainly isn't in medicine.) As far as a miracle vaccine goes, there's no guarantee that a vaccine is going to cure anything. The vaccine might help your body to build up a resistance to the virus. But nothing is guaranteed. Anybody who thinks it will is delusional. If my doctors say, get the vaccine, I will listen to them. I'm putting my faith in science and in the hopes that my doctors have done their due diligence. And to the Anti-vaxxers, fahk you. You people are the ones most likely to bring the plague to your neighborhoods and I may be someone who lives in that neighborhood. And no one fahks with my health. So beware, muthafahkas.

An effective vaccine may not be available until 2021. That's still six months away. Minimal. All the vaccine manufacturers are rushing to produce one, but you can't rush this to market. It could be a disaster. To bring everything into proportion, let's look at the Polio timeline.

The first U. S. polio epidemic was in 1894. The first vaccine trials weren't until 1935, over 40 years later. It wasn't for another 20 years before a vaccine was found to work. But that wasn't without a hitch. A Vaccine produced by Cutter Laboratories was found to give paralysis in some children. This was a major hiccup that caused some reworking. Success was finally found later in the 1950s. One hundred years since the first epidemic, Polio is 99% eradicated throughout the world. It took time. Nothing happens overnight, except in Hollywood Blockbusters.

Another example is HIV/AIDS. From the first known U. S. case it took six years before AZT was produced that gave many AIDS patients a reprieve and extending their life. To this date over 32 million people have died from AIDS. People are still being infected today. In 2018, 770,000 died from this disease. There are millions on antiretroviral therapy medication. There is a lot of medication combating this disease. It's been over 40 years since HIV/AIDS appeared. It's not over yet.

There were many people who did not survive to reap the benefits from these vaccines or drugs. This may be the same thing for COVID-19. If anyone believes that things are going to be different for this virus is living in a dreamworld. It's not going to be that easy or that fast. The drug Remdesivir has shown promise but is still not a definitive solution. I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being real. Expect to be in this for the long haul, if you want to live.

People who don't want to follow the government's and medical community's orders, for a lack of a better word, are dooming not only themselves and their loved ones but the rest of us. Being an American does not mean you can do whatever you want because the Constitution has given you a sense that anything goes because you're an American. That's not how it works and that's not what the Constitution guarantees. The Constitution was meant to be a guide for the country, as a whole. Individual rights will always be secondary to the greater welfare of the nation. 

That's right. Your individual rights do not count when it comes to the overall security of the nation. The idiot President should know this, but he doesn't. Wearing a mask is an American responsibility as well as upholding the Constitution. Social distancing is the equivalent to standing for the National Anthem. Not gathering in crowds is the equivalent of, well, the right to peaceable assembly. Yes, sometimes opposites are the same. As the second wave has begun in many states, yours may be next. 

Stay safe. Tweet the President to stop tweeting bullshit and stop worrying about dead confederate generals' monuments and urge people to wear masks. Follow the rules set down by your state's government and medical community. Until next time, TTFN.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever