Skip to main content

Betty White - May She Live 4ever

After the week we've all been through and the ongoing shitstorm of Covid-19, we need to think of something more pleasurable. Betty White. I've been binge watching Community (2009-15), a sitcom that ran five seasons on NBC and it's sixth (last) season through Yahoo's short lived video service, Yahoo! Video (Yahoo! Screen). The cast also had a Table Read of fifth season episode four via Zoom this year during the Coronavirus quarantine. What's any of that got to do with Betty White?

Betty White

Betty White is a television national treasure. At 98 years old, she's been in everything. Her career started in 1945. 1945! That's 75 years in the "Business." Her last few projects have been voice work, but that counts. Her first regular starring series was Life with Elizabeth (1953-55) as Elizabeth. 

In the first show of the second season of Community, she played the Anthropology community college professor, June Bauer, for two episodes where in the first episode she shoots a weapon at the show's star, Joel McHale (The Soup, The Great Outdoors) and then beats the shit out of him with the same weapon. Doing this all at the age of 88. She even did the voice of Bitey White, a toy tiger that looks more like a teething ring, in Toy Story 4. I haven't seen it yet. So, I can't give away any details. No spoiler alerts here. Unfortunately, if you didn't get out to see it last summer in the theaters in the pre-Coronavirus world, you'll probably will need to get Disney+ because Netflix won't have it and Amazon Prime you're going to have to purchase it. Shit! I'd be willing to pay the $3.99 to rent it, but $18.99 to own it; that's overpriced bullshit. (I know I'm spoiled. I remember when VHS movies costed nearly $100. You can walk into any Walmart these days and get DVD movies for under $10. But I no longer own a DVD player nor do I want one. I pay over $200 for 400 channels of shit most of which I don't want. I have ALL the movie channels and then some. I don't want Disney+. I won't watch it enough to make the $7 per month fee worthwhile. It doesn't sound like much, but I did say I'm already paying $230 to the cable monster.

Our gal, Betty, has been in 117 productions. Her most noted roles have been Sue Ann Nivens on The Mary Tyler Show (1973-77), which spun-off her own series that lasted only the one season as Joyce Whitman in The Betty White Show (1977-78), Rose Nylund in The Golden Girls (1985-92), probably her best known role, as well as the sequel, The Golden Palace (1992-93) and her last major role, Elka Ostrovsky in Hot in Cleveland (2010-15).

Now, I'd be a liar if I said that I've seen everything she's ever done. I have seen many of The Golden Girls episodes. BECAUSE it really was funny. I've seen every episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I just loved MTM. I have not seen any episodes of Hot in Cleveland on TV Land, because I just haven't made the time. And if it's still available, I might just put it on my Coronavirus binge watch list of candidates.

Some noteworthy guest appearances: 

The Love Boat (5 episodes) 1980-85
St. Elsewhere (2 episodes) 1985
Mama's Family (15 episodes) 1984-86
Ladies Man (30 episodes) 1999-2001
The Simpsons (2 episodes) 2000 & 2007, as herself
Boston Legal (16 episodes) 2005-8

She has even been on the soaps, The Bold and the Beautiful for 23 episodes (2006-9) and for three episodes in Santa Barbara in 1988 and she didn't even get a credit. By this time, she'd been in movies and television for over 40 years. What's a lady to do to get recognition in Hollywood?

Hopefully, even if she doesn't act anymore or if she only does voice-over work, she will live forever. I don't want to live in a world without Betty Marion White Ludden. (Ludden was her last late husband's name. Allen Ludden was best known as the emcee on the game show, Password. One of the few game shows on television that I liked as a child.) Then again, I made the same claim about George Burns and he left us in 1996 and I'm still here. He was 100 years, 1 month and 18 days old when he went on to join his wife, Gracie. And I don't mean in actors' heaven. I mean in their crypt at the Freedom Mausoleum in Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California. 

May she and we all live through this crisis of Coronavirus and mass protests, rallies and rioting as the world erupts in the turmoil of fighting hate from all sides because the white privileged have not recognized that the USA as always been a little bit of shithole especially on their treatment of Black Americans and immigrants. Not to get political, but...how else can you explain...TRUMP!!!

Save that for another time. Stay safe. Stay home. Eat your veggies. Meat may be hard to come by soon. And for fux sake, don't riot, loot or kill anybody. That goes for the cops, militia and the goons the government has sent into our cities' streets. Until next time, TTFN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever