Skip to main content

Sergeant Pop-Pop or Detective Grampy?? (Working Title For A Sitcom)

After too many years wasting my life plugging numbers into computers for people who are getting paid much more than me and are undeserving, I've thought maybe it's time to consider my next big career.  Writer.  I've come up with an idea for a sit-com.  I know that many will think that TV writing is not real writing, but then again, many people don't believe blogging is real writing either.  Either or.  I think any writing is a good writing and a good start.  So, without further babble, my idea.



The Premise:

Present day.
Location: Suburb of LA, far enough away from the city to be small town but not rural.  Town name TBD.

A life-long bachelor, decorated Sergeant Detective retires after 40 years on the force.

Cast:
Bob O'Riley, white male, Irish descent, our main character, 66 y/o
Jane Hu, Asian female, 18-19 y/o
Bradley Hu, Asian male, her brother, 12-13 y/o
Soo Hu, Asian female, her sister, 9-10 y/o
Samantha (Sam) O'Riley, Bob's sister, late 50s.

Supporting Cast:
John, a best friend police detective, black male, about 59 y/o
Bill, another best friend police detective, white male, Italian descent about 50 y/o
Ramon, another best friend police detective, Hispanic (Mexican descent) male, about 40 y/o
Mike, undercover detective, Bob's protege, black male, 25 y/o

Recurring Cast:
Uncle, the children's mother's absent unreliable brother.
Great Uncle, the Grandmother's youngest brother in China

The Story

First scene of episode one

Scene:  Police station.
Event: Detective Bob's retirement send-off

Congratulatory interaction between Bob, his friends, John, Bill and Ramon and fellow police officers, .
Young Asian woman enters.
She confronts Bob.
She explains herself and reveals that she is his granddaughter.
Everyone looks on astonished.
She is willing to offer proof.
DNA swabs are taken and sent off to lab.

End of Scene.

Without writing the whole script here, here's the basic story.

Bob, as a young detective, attended a police convention in San Francisco in 1973.  He met an extremely attractive 3rd generation Chinese-American woman about his age in a dance club bar.  The two hit it off and have a one night stand.  (This will be revealed somewhere in the second or third episode in the series.)  He goes back to L.A.  She produces a son 9 months later.  As a proud and headstrong business woman (family business TBD), she refuses to try to find the father and ignores her family's pleas to do so.

Twenty years later (1993) the offspring marries and produces 3 children in 1996, 2002 and 2006, respectively.  The parents disappear in 2010 from a believed small plane crash.  The son is a pilot. He and his wife (also Asian) are on a second honeymoon.  The children are then raised by their grandmother (Bob's one night fling).  She passes from cancer in 2014.  No one is left to raise the children.  The fling's parents are dead.  She had two brothers.  One older.  One younger.  The older also is dead.  The younger had moved to China.  The children, at least the two underage, would be remanded to foster care.

Over the years, the eldest daughter, Jane, was told the story of her father's father.  The grandmother remembers her fling as a police officer from the L.A. area (Town TBD) his name being Bob and some Irish name O'something.  During the years spent prior to her parent's disappearance and her grandmother's death, the teen researched and narrowed down the grandfather candidates.  She travels to the Town to seek her grandfather in the attempt to keep her and her two siblings together and out of foster care.

At the end of the first episode, my intention is to reveal through DNA testing that the children are his grandchildren.  The hook is that he only thinks he has one grandchild.  The reveal of the other two children comes in episode 2.  The addition of his sister would be in episode 4 or 5 when Bob admits as a life long bachelor who was married to his job is unprepared to raise children.  The sister, a life-long successful proud lesbian, has had relationships and has raised a few children with her partners.  The sister moves in.  The home is small but large enough to accommodate the extra people comfortably.  The relationships start off rocky as most do.  They learn to grow and adapt as most people do.  Each episode would add more to all of the characters back stories.  Bob's friends would be more involved as foils and confidences to Bob as they are all family men that usually end with misinformation or bad advice.

I don't know if I could carry all the writing duties, but I'd be good for story lines, one-liners, some short scenes and some snappy dialog.  I don't see this as network show as much as a cable or premium channel offering.  Now I just need to find someone to buy the idea and hire me and a group of underemployed writers.

I can't say that anything here is completely original and hasn't in parts been covered before on TV.  However, I think it's a start to something with much potential that could reach a wide varied audience.

What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever