Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 21 - "Three Life Lessons...Or Listen Up, Son"

Day 21 of my first 30 Day Writing Challenge: "What three life lessons do you would want your children to learn from you?"

I doubt what I have to share is new or even wise.  I like to think that it's common sense.  However, all I have to do is switch on the television and watch the news or read some of the crap on the internet to observe the lack of common sense that the common man has.

For a lack of a better term, these three lessons will not be called rules or lessons but guidance.

Guidance #1: Be true to yourself.  Don't let anyone tell you who you should be.  You should be who you feel you are.  Straight or gay.  College or a trade.  Arts or science.  Married, partnered or single.  It's your lump of clay to mold, cut and form.  Parents, teachers, friends and strangers can guide you or give you advice and suggestions, as I am doing here.  It's up to you to follow or blaze your own path.  No one but you can know what is best for you.  Sometimes learning the hard way is the only way to learn.  Experience will trump book knowledge every time no matter if the book is based on someone else's experience.  As the cancer treatment and weight loss centers advertise, your results may vary.

Guidance #2: Do what you love.  It may take several years.  It may take several attempts.  You may know from the time you are a small child.  You may discover "your lot in life" when you are in your fifties.  Be sure that whatever "it" is, it is what you love.  Don't settle for someone else's dreams.  You will only regret it.  Be it a career or a hobby or hobby that becomes your career, you need to choose and decide what is right for you.  And your choice should be something that you love.  Something that will motivate you to rise up every morning and be glad to greet the day with a zest for living and not the dread of drudgery and distain.  Only you can live in your own skin.  If you want to be a dancer, be a dancer.  If being a dancer turns out to not be your "cup of tea", start again.  That's why pencils have erasers.  What you think you want at 17 may not be what you want at 25, 35 or even 55.  Life is short, but not that short.  There's always time to set things to the right course.

Guidance #3: Don't discount all advice.  As your reflect on the first two guidances, take in consideration when someone dispels advice or guidance, know that it came at a price, life experience.  For the most part, life experience is a sound basis for guidance, but some people use prejudice and hate to rule their lives.  Be wise to learn to tell the two apart.  Some life experience may be slanted.  Hear their stories and advice but gauge the story, advice and advisor by the individual's merits and behavior.  I'd take as much solace in the advise from a Klansman as I do a clergyman.  Both have agendas.  Some may say opposite.  I disagree.  Any agenda that is not neutral that can't be interpreted equally by a mass populace is not a fair and neutral opinion.  These agendas are based on loves and hates.  Guidance and advice should always be based on neutral and beneficial ground.

As I noted earlier, your results may not be the same.  All I know is that I wish someone sat me down when I was a young man and gave me some advice with options.  I spent the majority of my life listening to people dictate how my life should be and what I should do.  Options were rarely available.  You should behave like this.  You should do this and not that.  Opinions that were formed by prejudice or because of religious and social dogma.  If there were more communication between  people and shared open-minded guidance, maybe there wouldn't be bloodshed in the schoolyards and the world a battleground of hopelessness.


Day 22: "10 Random Songs"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever