Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 25 - Puppet

OK.  Day 25 - "Think of any word. Search it on Google images. Write something inspired by the 11th image".  Holy crap.  I am clueless.  Sooo, when you are clueless where do you turn to...the Internet.  I found a Random Word Generator.  Pressed a few buttons and presto-wammo.  I got the word: 
Puppet
 
Puppet - a goddamn creepy child's toy that will give you an eternity of nightmares.
 
Here's my 11th puppet picture.  ->
 
Oh, happy, happy, joy, joy.  This is a daily double. 
Two clown marionette puppets. 
Double the fun (nightmares). 
Remember I don't like clowns.
 
What can we say about puppets that hasn't already been said in dozens of horror films?  A puppet is an inanimate object or representational figure animated or manipulated by a puppeteer. It is used in puppetry, which is a very ancient form of theatre. (Wikipedia)   Puppets and puppetry date back to Greek culture and writings in the 5th century B.C.  It's construction can be very complex or very simple.  The materials could be paper, fabric, wood, string or a host of other materials and inventive ideas.
 
There are several forms of puppets: 
  1. Black light,  performers dressed in black, using black light to accentuate the puppet 
  2. Bunraku , Japanese wood carvings with shamisen music
  3. Carnival or body, just what it says, like Mardi Gras or Chinese New Year dragons.  The Jim Henson Company also has their version of these puppets called Full-Bodied Puppets.
  4. Finger, self explanatory
  5. Sock, self explanatory
  6. Hand or glove, like Punch and Judy (I heard they finally divorced.  Domestic abuse or something.)
  7. Human-arm, hand puppet times 2 (i.e. requires two puppeteers which means the sucker is big)
  8. Light curtain, similar to black light except using white spot light on the puppet keeping the performers invisible
  9. Marionette, the creepy stringed up bastards in the photo above
  10. Marotte, simplified rod puppet that is just a head and/or body on a stick
  11. Pull string, strings on rings that puppeteer pulls to make the dummy parts move
  12. Push, dumbass novelty toy where you hold the base and press the button on the bottom and the puppet collapses and reforms when you leave go of the button...you make it dance.
  13. Toy theatre, some cut-out on a stick, a 19th century children's form of entertainment
  14. Rod, a puppet constructed around a central rod secured to the head. A large glove covers the rod and is attached to the neck of the puppet. A rod puppet is controlled by the puppeteer moving the metal rods attached to the hands of the puppet, any other limbs and by turning the central rod secured to the head.
  15. Shadow, a cut-out figure held between a source of light and a translucent screen
  16. Supermarionation, more sophisticated marionettes with special bells and whistles as seen on the TV show, Thunderbirds
  17. Ticklebug, is your hand painted up and using 4 fingers as legs, etc.
  18. Table top, puppet on a table operated from behind similar to Bunraku
  19. Ventriloquism dummy, the most common and most audience accepted puppetry.  Some famous teams:  Shari Lewis and Lamb chop (her daughter has taken over since her death), Paul Winchell with Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff (pictured right) and Edgar Bergen with Charlie McCarthy and the latest offering, Jeff Dunham with a slew of dummies, his most popular and possibly most offensive, Achmed the Dead Terrorist.
  20. Water, creepy Vietnamese art form performed in knee deep water
  21. Object, using objects not necessarily puppets, like Señor Wences and hand dummy and head in the box. "S'awright?  S'awright."
  22. Motekar, is like a Shadow puppet in the far east. 
As a child I have to admit I liked watching Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop and Paul Winchell's TV show.  I enjoyed and sat gape-mouthed watching Señor Wences on Ed Sullivan.  I even liked Ed's mouse puppet, Topo Gigio, a popular 1960s Spanish and Italian children's TV puppet/character.  Puppets and puppetry is still as popular (and creepy - just the clowns) as ever.  There's even a creative center for it in Atlanta.  Georgia has got everything.
 
I'll leave you with this little ditty.  I defy you to not laugh.  This is some funny shit!
 
 
 
Tomorrow same bat time, same bat channel!  Day 26 - "what I need to improve on".
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever