Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 27 - Kicking A$$ Or Getting My A$$ Kicked

Day 27: "Conversely, write about something that’s kicking ass right now."


It's almost over I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...or is that the light that I hear Zelda Rubinstein telling me to walk into?  Anyway.  What is kicking ass right now?  I don't know what that means.  I like to think that the weather is, but it's been too wet and too cool for this time of year.  I like to think my cat is kicking ass, but he's not feeling well.  I don't know what's wrong with him now.  He was fine this morning.  I get back home this evening and I see two very soupy looking poops in his litter box.  And he turned his nose up at both his Greenies treats and his dinner.  What fresh hell is ahead?  I like to think that my time off from work kicks ass...well, it sort of does.  I am on a 3 day weekend.  On Monday, a buddy and me are going to the Phillies-Mets Businessman's special.  That sort of kicks ass, but I don't know if that counts.  So, not to cop out on this challenge, I will give you the next installment of Molly, Lolly and Dolly instead.

Molly, Lolly and Dolly (30 Years Later)

She was sitting at a table at her favorite restaurant, Danny's. It was 12:30 p.m. The lunch crowd were beginning to fill in around her table. She glanced down at her iPhone 5 looking for an update text from her friends. They were late. The server stealthily appeared to her right.

"Could I get you anything, Molly?" She asked.  Molly jumped in her seat slightly startled by the server.
"A Diet Coke would be nice," Molly replied. Again, she peaked at her smartphone. Where are they? She thought.  And then...

"Hey, Molly." It was Lolly.
"Hi, Molly, Hon. How are you? Sorry, we're late. The sitter was late and then the traffic," explained Dolly.
"That's okay, ladies. There's plenty of food left. I'm sure." Molly replied.
All three ladies giggled.

Molly, Lolly and Dolly have done alright for themselves. Molly owns a successful chain of ladies boutiques. Lolly owns three bakeries. Dolly married a doctor, a cardiologist. She has two children, Benny and Jenny. The best friends were meeting to celebrate another "Molly success". She was acquiring five of her competitor's stores.

"Hi, gals." Solly walked up to the table. "Sorry, I'm late. I had a meeting with the School Board." Solly had become a teacher after college. Within a few years, she was running for School Board Superintendent and won with a little help from her friends.  The ladies have become the movers and shakers in their little corner of the world.

"So, the negotiations went well, then?" asked Lolly. She was all business.
"Yeah, Old Maura was looking to retire anyway," smirked Molly.
"You got it for a song, didn't you?" asked Dolly. Always the one thinking about money. "Wellll...maybe two songs." All four giggled at that.

A perplexed expression ran across Solly's face.  Dolly was the first to notice.
"What's the matter, Solly?  You look like you've just seen a ghost."
"You know," she replied, "I was looking across the restaurant and out the front window.  I swear I saw a face I hadn't seen in 30 years."
"What face would that be, Solly?"  Lolly inquired as she rolled her eyes.
She hitched her breath. "You remember that boy, Tolly?"
The other three looked at her with quizzical expressions.  "Tolly?" They said in unison.
"Tolly!" exclaimed Solly.  "I swear I just saw him staring through the front window at us."
"Who the heck is Tolly?" Dolly asked. "I don't remember a Tolly."
"Of course, you wouldn't." Solly said.  "It wasn't you that made that boy run away from home.  It was me with my mean words.  I've thought about him occasionally over the last thirty years.  Wondering.  Where is he?  How is he?  Is he still alive?  Why was I so mean to him?"
"IIIIIIII remember him!" proclaimed Molly.  "He was that tweebie Teen Boy Band Wanna-be who thought all the girls should go ga-ga for him.  You told him off as I recall.  It was a good laugh."
"Oh, yeah, I remember, too.  Who cares?"  said Lolly.  "That was then.  We're living in the now.  Whatever happened to a nerdy geek thirty years ago has no business with us today."
"But I swear I just saw him.  I remember his face.  He was so distraught and when he left he moved like he had no will to live," said Solly.
"Don't be so melodramatic, Sols," Lolly said, snorting a laugh.
"Well, maybe, you can sleep at night.  But I've often wondered if it was me that caused his disappearance and possible demise."

The server had stopped at their table.  "Have we decided on anything, ladies?"  This time Solly as well as Molly jumped a little in their seats.
"Yes," Lolly said slapping the table.  "A pitcher of Mojitos and keep 'em coming.  We're celebrating!"  And she gave the table I nice healthy slap again.
"Be right back with them," smiled the server and off she went as quickly and quietly as she entered.

"That girl is very sneaky.  Scared the poop out of me the first time she came 'round," whispered Molly afraid the server might just reappear again from nowhere.
"She has the quiet approach down pat.  That's for sure," said Solly, as she craned her neck trying to see the front windows.

Moments before, outside the restaurant staring through the smudged oil slick front windows into the restaurant stood a man with the plainest of faces and the sharpest of eyes.  He saw the four women.  He knew who they were.  He had been keeping tabs on them since his quiet arrival back into his old hometown.  Tolly Tolliver was back.  And he had a score to settle with someone.  He quickly dashed away before Solly had a chance to look his way again.  He was almost sure he saw her face light with a shock of recognition.  He can't have that.  It's not time for the great revelation.  The sort of homecoming he thought that they had coming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I need an editor, but what can I say.  I'll get better at this someday.  Stay tuned for the continuing story.  Part III - Tolly's Story.  <Cue the music>


Next: Day 28 - "Post five things that make you laugh-out-loud"  Oooohhh, Kay!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever