Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 1: 10 Things That Make You Really Happy

First, I am doing this with my sister.  She's doing a blog each day for 30 days based on this list.  She's an excellent writer and a school teacher to boot.  You could learn shit from her.  Like not to say shit and say stuff instead.  I think this first assignment should be easy, but we have to first define happy.  I find most of the times I'm content. Many things help me to be content.  That is, I've surrendered my ego and desires to settling for the next best thing.  Is content the same as happy?  If so, then what the hell is Really Happy?  I think I will simplify this and go with the items that give me joy to the point of laughing hysterically or weeping pathetically or anything that gives me an emotion other than Meh.  The list below is not necessarily in any order of importance.
  1. Music - Be it the radio, my iPod or my guitars. (I'm down to 2.  I used to have 5.)  I can describe my life based on songs I've listened to through out.  Music has documented my life.  Anything Beatles takes me back to my boyhood years (1960s).   The Eagles reminds me of the 1970s and high school.  Genesis and Yes takes me back to my college days.  Jethro Tull has been with me from junior high until now. The Cars:  Reminds me of the late 1970s and early 1980s Florida when I lived in Fort Lauderdale and my move to Long Island and then my drive to NJ after my separation from my first wife.  ("Since Your Gone" was playing on my car stereo as I drove over the GW bridge.)
  2. Food - Let's face it.  This should be on everybody's list.  I love food.  Not just certain foods.  All foods.  I watch Diners, Drive-ins and Dives religiously in hopes to find new restaurants in my proximity for me to try.  There isn't a food that I wouldn't try.  Mexican, Italian, Indian, Mediterranean, you name it; I've tried it and loved it.  One of my most favorite places I have visited was Epcot Center.  There are 22 restaurants representing 12 countries including the USA.  I have not dined at them all, but someday I will.
  3. Vacations - Any time off from work is a good time.  Like the old adage says:  A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.  I like to travel, but staying home and doing absolutely is its own reward.  My last two away vacations were to Phoenix and parts of Arizona.  I have somewhat a romance with that state.  Something that just can't be explained. 
  4. TV - Over the years I've become more of a couch potato.  I know I should be getting out and exercising or meeting people.  Why?  I see people all day.  In the evening and on the weekends, I need some Me-time.  And TV usually fits the bill.  Comedies, dramas, movies, etc. it all works for me.  I'm looking forward to the eighth season of Doctor Who.
  5. A Good Drive - In my Jeep on a warm sunny day with the top down, I truly enjoy a nice long drive to no place in particular.  It could be to the shore or just around the city or even away from the city to the country.  Catch some fresh air and good Vitamin D supplied by the Sun. 
  6. Sex - I am a typical male.  I like my women or woman.  I rarely have ever dated more than one at a time.  I love everything about a woman, except for maybe the nagging that comes with some units.  
  7. My cat, Potter - He's a pain in the ass and very much like me.  I have shutoff my alarm clock for good.  I no longer need it.  As long as he remains with me and of course, is alive, I will never be late, because he promptly sounds off every morning between 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. with his kitty meows reminding me that it's feeding time.
  8. Baseball and Football - I didn't want to say Sports, because I don't care for Soccer (English Football), Hockey or Basketball.  And most of the Olympic sports are games to me.  Gymnastics is just exercise not a sport.  For that matter we should have an Olympic Pilates event then. I think if I work real hard this year I could take gold in Yoga.  Yikes!  I almost want to meet this lady.  See #6 above.
  9. Reading - I enjoy reading and not just the sports page or websites.  There are two people in my immediate family that have always been readers:  My sister, Sandi, and myself.  Which is why we are both frustrated writers/novelists.  Mom read for most of her life up until the last 10 years of it.  My favorites are Stephen King, Michael Connelly and the late, Stephen J. Cannell and Michael Crichton.  I'm currently reading the first book of George R.R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire - A Game Of Thrones.  
  10. My sister, Sandi - We are very symbiotic.  Okay.  That's not quite right, but what can I say.  She is of the higher mind and me of the one-cell organism.  I don't share closeness with many people and don't have much in common with my other siblings.  She is a friend as well as my youngest sibling.  I look to her for her opinions on stuff because she may not always agree with me, but she wouldn't bullshit me either.  She has inspired me to try writing again.  She is an inspiration on other levels too.  I'll go into that some other time.  And never again is she is to stick me with any of the other 3 siblings without having my back and sharing their misery with me.

Next Up: Day 2 - Write something that someone told you about yourself that you will never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever