Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 5 - 5 Places I Want to Visit

Day 5 of my first 30 Day Writing Challenge - 5 places I want to visit. 

Who would have thought this writing challenge would be so...challenging?  But I like this one.

I can't say that I'm a world traveler. I have been places.  I have been to Canada, The Bahamas, Mexico, and about 50% of the USA.  Nothing too exotic.  However, there are places that I've always dreamed about but have not gotten there yet.  Some places as a child/young man I wanted to visit, but as an older (not old) adult, they've dropped off my list, like Paris, France and just about everywhere in Europe.  I am not really interested in going there any longer.  So, where would I like to visit.  In order of what's hot on my mind right now these 5 places.


1. Hawai'i - Yes, I spelled it the way the natives intended it to be spelled.  I have heard so many stories from people who have gone.  I faithfully watch the CBS show "Hawaii Five-O" like a die-hard fan should.  The ABC show "Lost" was also filmed on the islands.  With these images flashing before my eyes, it has whetted my appetite to travel there.  It has always been my desire to see the beaches, volcanoes, experience island life and the native Hawaiian women.  There's something about an Asian woman that gets my motor running.  There's something to be said about a state in the middle of the ocean where you have only your resourcefulness to rely on.  I have already visited two places that have been in my top three list, Arizona and Mexico.  Maybe, this one will be my next vacation spot, but I must travel over the winter.  No sense in coming back to Philadelphia with a tan in the summer when everyone has a tan.


2. London and Liverpool, England - I grouped these two together because if I'm going to do one might as well do the other.  Ever since I was a child England became one of the two places I always wanted to visit.  (I have since eliminated Paris.)  The Beatles were the main reason why England was on the list.  Over the years since I've gotten more into Brit TV the desire to visit has increased.  Again, I have heard so many stories from people who went that I feel like a Rube Bumpkin because I haven't been anywhere.  I must go.  Someday.  It is cost prohibitive.  Anyone want to fund me?  Feel free to send a check.  Maybe I can get a Kickstarter going.

3. Tokyo, Japan - This one lands on the list because there aren't a lot of places left I care to go.  Like I said, Europe doesn't hold the fascination it once did, but the Far East does.  Again, Asian women intrigue me.  Why?  I don't know why.  Stop asking.  It's probably because I've only ever dated white women.  But Japan also has a smorgasbord of seafood delicacies waiting for me to dive in.  I love sushi.  Besides I might be able to bring back some deep discounted electronic technology.  See below.  The caption should read, "Yum, yum, yum".  A little creepy?


4. San Diego, L.A. and San Francisco - I'd take a month long vacation to do all three and do it right.  I was in L.A. once. The coldest February Los Angeles had in 50 years was the week I was there.  I was not impressed.  With below normal temps, it rained half the week.  I still got to see Hollywood and I spent half the day traveling on their buses to just about every part of the city proper.  I also was just about the only white guy riding mass transit.  I would like to go back someday and try driving the longest parking lot in California (the LA Freeway system).  I'd check out Hollywood again.  I saw Paramount.  I'd check out some of the other studios and ask if Mr. DeMille was ready for my close-up.  Hollywood Forever Cemetery has lots of famous dead people there to visit.  I could sleep on the beach in Malibu.  I couldn't afford to stay there.

I have known people who lived in San Diego who said the weather was gorgeous year round.  Never too hot; never too cold.  I would love to see it for myself. I might have to plan the trip when Comic Con is happening.  It's the other place besides Phoenix, AZ I'd consider moving to.  Well, there or Australia.  That's also a pipe dream of mine.

Of course, SF would be a different story.  To steal a line out of the film "48 Hours", "the coldest winter I spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco."  I guess with all those hills, being on the water and at the 37th Parallel might make it less than desirable to live, but to visit and hang out where all the hippies did in the 1960s in Haight-Ashbury would be awesome.  I'd check out Alcatraz, AT&T Park (SF Giants), Candlestick Park/Levi's Stadium (49er's) and maybe some nearby wineries in Napa.  And maybe ask someone if they know the way to San Jose.  (Song reference - Look it up!)


5. Key West - I figure you couldn't claim to be well traveled if you haven't been to the most southern point of the USA.  Besides I heard that it's a pretty damn good party town.  Not that I'm much of a drinker, but I like my food.  I saw an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that highlighted eateries in Key West.  I have put them on my list.  I think this could be a fairly reasonably priced long weekend vacation where the airfare won't put you in hock and if hotels are full or too expensive, sleep on the beach until they cart you off to jail.


Honorable mentions:  Adelaide, So. Australia, Tijuana, Guadalajara and Acapulco, Mexico, El Paso, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia.  I picked these mostly because I like the sound of their names or family lives there.  Nothing says affordable vacation than crashing at a cousin's guest room.  

Next up: Day 6 - Five Ways to Win Your Heart...? My heart or that special gal's heart? Hmmmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever