Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 12 - 5 Blessings

Day 12: Name 5 blessings. Hah, piece of frosted flour and egg mixture.

Like most people I don't count my blessings because we don't live our lives with blinders on. We see something else and think I'm worthy of that. Why don't I have this or that? We get ourselves wrapped up in the rat race.  The race to have the most money, the biggest house, the most expensive car, the most exotic vacations and what's trending now. To quote a line from the failed 1972 sitcom, The Paul Lynde Show that starred Paul Lynde when asked how goes the rat race. His reply was the rats are winning.  So in time we all must take a beat and look into and around ourselves.  Take stock as the idiom dictates.  See what we really have. See who we really are.  One thing is certain.  We always have ourselves.  Therefore, this is going to be about me.

My 5 Blessings
 
1. Appearance - I look good.  I have seen and met people my age or younger that don't look as young or as good as I do.  I'm not blustering. I've been complimented and mistaken for a younger person.  I recently have been shopping around for an apartment. I stopped at a complex to inquire about apartments. The woman, who was younger than me, looked at me and commented, "You know you have to be at least 55 to live here". I'm 56.  Three years ago there was my school's Class of '76's 35th class reunion.  I did not attend.  I had nothing in common with them then and even less now. However, a group photo surfaced sent by an attendee to other absentees and from one of them to me.  (I hope no one got detention.)  The picture I saw looked like a group photo of a geriatric home.  Those people just did not age well.  I know most of them are grandparents, but really do you need to look the stereotype?

2. Age - I am where I want to be in life (age-wise) at this time in history.  I never had any romantic notions to live during medieval times, the Renaissance or the Roaring 20s. I don't want to live in the future during the zombie apocalypse. (Oh, it's going to happen.  All the signs are there.)  I once thought if I was born maybe five years earlier I could have experienced the whole Beatlemania thing more first hand, because five and six year olds don't usually attend Rock concerts.  Of course, I would have had a better chance of being sent to Vietnam and getting my ass shot off too.  If I was born five to ten years later I would have missed out on what was the wonder that was the Sixties.  Of course, I could have lived without Disco.  I think everyone could have lived without Disco.  Oh, well, a little rain must fall, especially if it's raining men. (Ewww, bad Disco song reference.)

3. Intelligence - I have a high IQ. An internet test told me so. Also, you just know these kind of things.  Stupid people don't know their stupid, because, well...they're stupid.  I know this because somewhere people are purchasing Ann Coulter's books.  Why?  Why??  I'm surrounded at work by mental midgets.  Sorry, I don't mean to be mean or malign short statured people.  Like an adept chess player, I can see five moves ahead.  Where my co-workers mentally take one step forward and then two steps back.  Mentally challenged persons make jokes about my co-workers.  That says something when lower IQ people are ranking on you.  I have the highest IQ in my family beating my youngest sister by 2 IQ points. (Truth be told.  I think it's the other way around but don't tell her I said so.  She'd never let me live it down.)

4. Humor - I know funny.  Most people think they have a sense of humor.  Most people are wrong.  Why else would these shows still be on the air:

Two and a Half Men (post Charlie Sheen)
2 Broke Girls
Mike & Molly
The Goldbergs
Modern Family
The Middle
The Millers
Bad Teachers
Wilfred
Girls
Extreme Weight Loss
Celebrity Wife Swap

What?  The last two aren't comedies?  Yikes!  Maybe someone at the networks has a sense of humor.

5. Modesty - I've been blessed with modesty. Knowing how great I am and having the civility to not be demonstrative or overly flourish and flaunt my attributes.  I'm a very giving person.  (I'd like to go to Hawai'i.)  Like this blog, I do it for you.  My public.  I try to impart to you some of the greatness that is me. (trip to Hawai'i). I'm here to make your uninteresting and mundane lives more fulfilling.  No need to thank me. (Hawai'i) I'm all too gracious and need no adoration, pomp, circumstance, circumcision or any gift you wish to shower me (trip to Hawai'i). I'm here for you. (Hawai'i) Hawai'i, Hawai'i, Hawai'i and thank you, Hawai'i.

Did I also mention I'm fucking brilliant?

Next on the chopping block: Day 13 - What excites me.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever