Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 3 - Top 3 Pet Peeves

This should be an easy one.  I've got so many pet peeves I am having a difficult time selecting just the right ones.  I have selected my first rant.  It is about this goddamn computer and the internet.

1. Why can't I find an internet browser that will cooperate.  Internet Explorer sucks.  It might not suck if I could use IE 11.  But because occasionally I work from home,  I use my personal laptop. I can't upgrade to 11, because in the infinite wisdom of our asshole IT department we're still using IE 7or some antiquated dinosaur version of it.  Both Chrome and Firefox give me tons of pop-ups not seen since I was on CompuServe 20 years ago.  I have been trying to open my sisters blog to read her Top 3 Pet Peeves and Maxthon, my current browser, keeps wanting to save the page instead of displaying it.  I have no idea how that shit started.  It was fine yesterday until maybe when I downloaded Firefox last night.  I thought the pop-ups might have been fixed by now.  But NOOOO!!!!  The pop-ups started up from Jump Street, which is why I dumped them a long time ago in the first place.  So again, I decided that it just wasn't worth it and deleted it today.  The Browser Wars wage on.  I remember when Netscape was the bomb back in the nineties.  Browsers like AOL, Netscape and IE have been left in the dust to be replaced by Firefox, Chrome or the browser du jour, whatever that might be.  I thought Chrome would be my salvation being it's from Google.  I figured a company like Google which is trading  on the Nasdaq at $582.66 as of today should be able to make a better browser.  But it was wonky from the start.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but somehow I keep getting shitty browsers.  Am I not downloading from the right site?  Am I getting the one with all the adware crap?  If I'm going to get pain in the ass pop-ups can't they throw me a bone and flash a pretty girl in a skimpy bathing suit or something?  I could give Apple's Safari a ride.  I use it on my iMac.  I don't know how compatible it is with PC.  Hopefully, I'll be able to finish this blog before my PC and the internet craps out on me.

2. Speaking of infinite wisdom, my next beef is with Big fat-cat major corporations' policies.  Where is it written that you receive a big payday when you run a company in the ground, it gets purchased by another company and half the staff loses their jobs to avoid going out of business?  That's exactly what happens every time one of these know nothing, do nothing Super Execs shitcan a company.  Point in fact, the company I work for.  I won't give the name, but you can figure it out.  They were purchased by a private equity firm based in New York specializing in consumer and retail investments.  The upper management who have been paid millions over the years were given their ticket of leave along with a whopping payout.  It's like the loser on a game show getting the best prize.  When I started with this company it was a publicly traded company with a stock price hovering around the low $30 a share.  When they sold the company, the investors were paid about $15 a share.  In 7 years, the company lost 50% of it's trading worth.  Everyone saw it coming.  Didn't management?  They went on to spend millions in refurbishing their office space instead of developing a better product line or a marketing campaign to increase sales and product awareness.  If it wasn't for Macy's or one of the other big department stores with their occasional sales, our product would never have been mentioned on TV.

I also believe your compensation should reflect the profitability of the company.  As CEO, CFO, COO, Chairman of the Board, Directors, whatever your lame ass title is, you should be paid based on the company's performance.  If you make shitty decisions, you should be paid a shitty salary.  You make great decisions propelling the company to greater heights, shit...I'd give you that second yacht.  I'd even drive you down to the docks and carry your luggage.  The problem is there aren't too many executives that care enough about the long term interest in the business to make the daring changes and risks needed to make the business excel.  There are so many that want to ride the wave of a good economy and then bail with a golden parachute when the hard times come.  It's not what I learned in my MBA courses years ago.  It's not how the original owner thought either when he started this business in the 1970.  He was in it for the long run.

3. Lastly, rudeness...rudeness...rudeness.  Why is it so damn hard to say hello to someone as you pass them in the hall or on the street?  I deal with this regularly at work.  I see a person.  She's not one of my friends or co-workers but a fellow employee walking toward me.  I don't particularly find her attractive or even likable, but out of courtesy I say good morning.  She stares pass me and ignores my greeting.  WTFark?  Even people who I hate I wish them a very good Fark You.  It's just common courtesy to acknowledge people.  Saying hello has often been used, especially by men, to get an introduction.  To break the ice.  To meet a pretty lady.  I can understand it if I was a complete creepy stranger leering at you, but I'm not and I don't. So grow up and speak.  Even if it is to say, "Drop dead, clown."

Next: Day 4 - An Inspiring Person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever