Skip to main content

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day 2 - Lasting Words


Day 2 of the 30 day writing challenge: "Write something that someone told you about yourself that you will never forget".

This one is a difficult assignment because generally I don't pay too much attention to what people tell me. Most of the times it's usually criticism or complaints.

"Why are you looking at me?" "You're creeping me out!" "Stop touching me." "Quit looking in my bedroom window." The usual stuff.

We can rule out things said before, during and after coitus. We know in the heat of passion things are said that aren't sincere.

"Is that all there is?" "Stop touching me." "Are you ready to start? You already finished?" "Hey mister, that's $50 bucks in advance."

All kidding aside for this is a serious subject matter. What you say to someone could result in misery or phobias for that rest of their life. I won't dwell on what my parents have said to me over the years especially growing up. I'll leave that to the day when I finally go into psychoanalysis. One thing I will share is on my Father's death bed he told me he was proud of me and all his children. Of course, I didn't have the heart to say it would have been nice to have heard that a few times as a teen or even a young adult. I'm dwelling.

What I do recall is a non-familial person, my Senior High School Creative Writing Teacher, telling me this and recently my sister repeated something similarly. I'll paraphrase it here.


"You have a great ability to write dialogue between your characters." 

This same teacher also read one of my stories to the class and remarked how he liked how I brought the scene to life. He said he could imagine the wintry scene in the story as if he was there.

Unknown to me, some writers have a hard time with dialogue making their characters interact in conversation that makes it interesting and compelling. I imagine the interaction in my head and using personal experiences flesh out the conversations. So, I'll demonstrate my ability with this story. Forgive any punctuation faux pas. I need an editor. Think of this blog as a two-fer. Blog and short story.


Molly, Lolly and Dolly

Three friends, Molly, Lolly and Dolly, were at the 5th street playground. They were doing what young girls like to do on a sweltering day at the peak of summer vacation. They swung on the swings. They teetered and tottered. They laid flat on their backs staring into the azure blue sky naming the puffy white cloud shapes.
"That one's a dog," exclaimed Dolly.
"Which one?" asked Lolly.
"The one on the left. Next to the one that looks like Mr. Nedermyer."
"That doesn't look like old Mr. Nedermyer. It looks like a stoopy man," stated Molly, who was not really paying attention to the clouds. She was off in her own little daydream.
"Well, it looks like a man who slouches a lot, like old Mr. Nedermyer," said Dolly defending her Rorschach cloud.
"Hey, you know what we can do?" Molly exclaimed as she jumped to her feet.
"I don't like the sound of this," groaned Lolly.
"What?" Dolly asked all full of curiosity.
"Why don't we go over to the high school and check out the boys' football practice," Molly said more as a statement than a suggestion or question.
"I don't like boys," Lolly snapped.
"I already have a boyfriend," Dolly glowed dreamily.
"It was just a thought," Molly whimpered, scuffing her pink Puma sneakers against the macadam playground floor.

Not far from the girls, Tolly had been taking this all in. As they all lived in the neighborhood and attended the same middle school, he knew them. They knew him too.  And fancying himself as a tweener Lothario, Romeo, Valentino and Beiber all rolled into one, he approached the girls.

"Well, hellloooo, ladies. Why would you want to go alllll the way over to the high school to see a bunch of sweaty, fat football players when you can stay right here and be with me?" Tolly beamed.

The three girls jumped at the sound of his voice as they had not seen or heard him come up to them.
"I don't think so, Tolly," Molly guffawed, quick on the attack.
"I have a boyfriend," Dolly whispered, clearly not over the start Tolly gave them.
The best Lolly could do was a comedic exaggerated gag reflex which got all three girls giggling that transitioned into outright gut busting laughter.

Tolly stood there with his hands in his pockets momentarily speechless. A short distance away from this, twirling on a swing sat Solly. Solly was much younger than the others, but was by far more wiser. Wise beyond her years one might say. She stopped her twirling and jumped off the swing and skipped over to the kids.

"Now Tolly," she addressed the boy. "You know no one is buying your bull poopie here." The other girls in unison folded their arms across their barely developed chests and nodded their heads in agreement.
"Not only that," she continued, "You look like a mentally challenged scarecrow, whose face was pressed against a cheese grater." She paused. "Aaaand...you smell like bacon fat. You should just go home and leave the rest of us alone."

Tolly was taken aback to the point that whatever he was going to say left him altogether. He was trying to say something but it came out more like a stammer than words. His mouth was moving but nothing was coming forth. At that point the girls in chorus yelled "Just GO!!!!" This was a turn of events he had not predicted. He quickly pivoted showing his back to the girls because he felt the tears welling up in his eyes. He did not want them to see him cry. He slowly slunk away toward home dragging his feet and his wounded ego.

On the other side of the park in the direction Tolly was heading, a white van with out of state plates was parked. As Tolly reached that end of the park, the man grabbed Tolly and tossed him in the back of the van and took off. No one ever heard from Tolly again.

The moral to the story is: Girls are poison.


Feel free to critique. I probably won't read it or listen to you anyway.

Next: Day 3 - Pet Peeves

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How The New Mexican Government And Prison System Failed Its People

Anyone who knows me knows I like mystery and crime stories, especially true crime. So, I am a huge fan and viewer of the Investigation Discovery network. I view many programs and have my favorites. One show I recently stumbled upon was "Surviving Evil" hosted by the stunning actress, Charisma Carpenter , who herself a crime survivor. She and two friends suffered at the hands of a violent serial rapist and police officer Henry Hubbard, Jr. on San Diego's Torrey Pines State Beach in 1991. I don't want to go on about her, her surviving her attack or even the ID program, which airs Thursdays at 9 pm and re-airs throughout the week and is available On Demand. Well, actually, I do want to speak about one episode from the current season (the 3rd season), but not the show as much as how the law failed to truly punish the perpetrator of this crime. The show titled "Escaping The Arroyo" interviews the one surviving victim and tells the horrific story about two whi

My First Blog

Unless I'm already mentally or emotionally stirred up I find it difficult to start anything.  Be it a rant, a conversation or a writing.  I'm sure if I don't get bored or disillusioned I will have something interesting or controversial to say.  I might even drop an occasional F bomb.   As this is my first outing, I will insert many random thoughts that clearly will lack continuity or proper linkage.  I will sound like a mental patient or someone suffering from Alzheimer's.  For instance, tomorrow is my birthday.  I turn 55.  Who cares, right?  Why are we so self-absorbed with ourselves?  I know from my POV I want to rule the world, be famous and shag any girl I desire.  I also know, as I'm sure you do too, that that's just not going to happen...ever.  But without these little dreams/daydreams I'd find it more difficult to crawl out of bed most mornings.   Random thought #2:  How do people quote lines by famous writers as if they just read the story wh

The JetBlue Fashion Police Takes A Bite Out Of ?????

I'll start off by saying that I have no love for JetBlue or any airliner for that matter. But with their latest allowance of employee empowerment to make fashion decisions or to determine what is proper flight attire solidifies why I will never fly with them. They have permanently joined the "I-won't-fly" ranks of American Airlines, Delta and Frontier Airlines. Though I find the young woman's outfit more suited for trolling Walmart or lounging around the house, there is nothing illicit, illegal or obscene to warrant being forced into a wardrobe change prior to boarding her Boston to Seattle flight or to suffer being removed from the flight altogether. If she passed through security that should be good enough. Also, this girl's ass makes that shite work. Work it honey. I'm a little sick and tired of reading about the morality police. People take their job duties beyond the job description into the realm where no customer service personnel should ever